Returning to school at age 45

by irondork 24 Replies latest jw friends

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Is roobios like roofies? I guess that would make you popular....

Way to go irondork! I am approaching the big 4-0 myself and I wonder what I am going to do. I am contemplating some type of fitness related job. I LOVED gym class as a kid and at one time wanted to be a teacher. Of course the END was coming so I did not do sh** or accomplish anything with my life, except being a good friend to a lot pf people which is something.. Great job taking life by the cojones..

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

I went back when I turned 40...I loved it..love it. I got a few credits to finish up. Only

thing I don't like is the loans. I think I'll be paying them back forever.

• moshe
    moshe

Good luck on the classes-

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Irondork, congrats for returning to school. I got my ADN when I was 54, my BSN at 62, and a BA in Spanish at 64. I have been able to use all of these degrees. You have time to make your schooling worth it. You will love school and learning something different. There is nothing better for your self esteem than your accomplishments. You are still young.GO FOR IT.

PHG

• Quendi
    Quendi

Congratulations on your return to school, irondork! You will find it a refreshing and rewarding experience. Will your age be a factor? Definitely, but perhaps not in the way you might think.

I was forty when I returned to school, finally finishing when I was 46, so it was as six-year project. You’re not planning anything so extensive, but you already know it will require a lot of effort. The biggest surprise I found was how I was regarded by both faculty and fellow students. Being the “old man” in many of my classes and in more than one instance older than either the instructor or the professor gave me certain advantages that I never expected.

My age and life experience were greatly respected and admired. The “kids” were very eager to tap into what I knew. They were delighted that I viewed them as adults and treated them as such. That is very important because it is the baseline of the relationship you will have with them. It certainly helped that some of my classmates were more than capable students themselves, so there was a real interchange when we studied deep mathematics or some fascinating facet of geography, my two majors. Seeing that I would listen to them and solicit their advice and opinions made it much easier to give some of my own. More than that, I found these young people often sought me out on their own and I had never anticipated that.

The result was I formed friendships that have lasted down to this day. Those friendships are as valuable to me now as my diploma and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. I hope you have a similar experience.

Quendi

• cult classic
    cult classic

The Flintstones is my all-time favorite cartoon!

Congrats on going back to school. You'll do fine.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Congratulations, Irondork! Likening the return to school to fornication should cause a surge in enrollmeNT & also sounds like fun. And the Flinstone lunchbox...yabba dabba do!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

BOC: Going back to school isn't half as difficult as you think it will be.

I think you'll find that this economy has sent lots of 40- and 50-somethings back to class.

Wha Happened: It did feel weird at some of the classes as I would get called "Sir" alot.

Yeah, pissed me off the other day when some younger guy (prob didn't shave yet) held the damn door open for me and let me go in first.

PRICK!

Doc

• Quendi
    Quendi

Hey, DOC, people often held the door open for me when I was a student at the university as well. I took it in the spirit it was given: a sign of deep respect and real affection. Some of those door-holders became very close personal friends who later invited me to their weddings and shared their lives with me. I was also called “sir” more times than I can count, but again I took that as a sign of respect. These same young people were on cloud nine when I told them to drop the formality and refer to me by my first name instead. Again, that led to the creating of friendships that have lasted down to this day. It’s all in our attitude and I learned early on in college not to take myself seriously. The result was a happier college experience than it might have been had I viewed matters otherwise.

Quendi

• irondork
    irondork

Wow! I don't know where to start. Thanks for all the support and tea recommendations.

Tea? LOL

I'm not really skeptical about going back to school. I'm excited about it. I was just taking a jab at some of the unfavorable light the WT and AWAKE articles have tried to cast over the idea of an education. It's not the education part that makes me nervous, it's the idea of my life going off into uncharted territory. As menial as my job may be, I know how to do it. I guess it's a comfort zone thing.

Oh well. With Fred and Barney at my side I can do anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit