Why are atheists so intent on scorning "believers"?

by Chariklo 553 Replies latest jw friends

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

But even then, they will focus on one word in the question and try to steer the debate over it. Round and round we go.

then perhaps you shouldn't use "gotcha" type questions that are easily dismantled.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

You're right, EP. I wasn't using that as an example for logical fallacy. Rather be in hades was asserting that I gave no logical reason why I would think that a complex universe would have intelligence behind it. So I gave that example.

Rather be in hades did not deal with my main point of logical fallacy. He just spewed out some garbage and refused to get specific.

I only brought up a couple fallacies that I saw. One is comparing the belief that it is reasonable to conclude that there has to be intelligence behind the universe to a belief in unicorns and fairies. If one can't see the fallacy here, then I wonder how honest they are being with themselves. I'm not putting down the atheist. But this specific argument doesn't hold any weight in determining whether an intelligence would be behind the universe in its complexity. Nothing comes from nothing. There is logic behind that. Recognizing this is not comparable to belief in fairies. Yes, as NC stated, there are those that believe in fairies. But we are not discussing mythology or even the Bible. It is not delusional for me to believe that there is intelligence behind the universe. Trying to banish that into the realm of myth and fairies is a fallacy that proves nothing, but instead attempts to belittle the argument enough to make it look ridiculous.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

One is comparing the belief that it is reasonable to conclude that there has to be intelligence behind the universe to a belief in unicorns and fairies.

Who was making that assertion?

OTOH, maybe the intelligence IS a fairy?

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Who was making that assertion?

Rather be in hades among others. It's a common fallacy that some atheists use when out of ideas. Or the other fallacy is "Why don't you just go read some science and get back with me." Assuming that I have not done any research and I'm uneducated in the realm of science is a common line of thinking. It's a way to derail the conversation and make one side look stupid while never dealing with any real issues. Rather be in hades has done that with me on numerous threads. And honestly I'm tired of it and I'm ready to stop responding to him.

I love talking with "real" atheists. I love debating logic and science. But when it degrades into generalizations and fallacy, I'm done.

• ammo
    ammo

St, You can't polish a turd mate, if you think something is stupid that someone believes, than there is something about that person to you that is stupid. Anyway its more the loons, nutter, must be needing meds comments that are offensive, also ST I do not want to get into a tit for tat defending this with you,please, its been along 48 hours and my body is aching, and I don't want to say something thats taken the wrong way, it can happen when we are tired. Personally I don't want shit/beefs with anyone here everyone has something to contribute, and everyone has something to learn. I'm going down stairs walk down the jetty, jump in my kayak and suck up as much nature as my little heart can stand, For those of you willing to accept it without some underlying perceived putdown. Have a good day/night.

• still thinking
    still thinking

God and science are like oil and water. They don't mix.

Non athiest think that you can mix it up. But if you try to use scientific method and relate it to god. You end up just inventing things and make it sound sciency.

What is a 'real' atheist?

• tec
    tec

God and science are like oil and water. They don't mix.

God and science are not in conflict.

What some believe about God and what some believe science states (or will state) about the world/universe are in conflict.

The conflicts are of a human nature, as... well... most are.

Peace,

tammy

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I think a "real" atheist is one that not only claims to be an atheist but states outright the disbelief in God. A "real" atheist does not think that there "may" be a god, we just have no evidence. He denies the existance of god 100%.

My experience has shown that many that claim to be atheist's are actually agnostic if you ask them enough questions. That's not taking anything away from atheists however. There are still plenty of atheists in the cool kids club.

• still thinking
    still thinking

St, You can't polish a turd mate, if you think something is stupid that someone believes, than there is something about that person to you that is stupid

I really don't know why you cannot see the difference.

Person = not stupid

Belief = stupid

I don't think you are a stupid person at all. But some of your beliefs....

Maybe you are projecting what you think... Maybe you think people who have stupid ideas are stupid thats why you can't see I don't.

• still thinking
    still thinking

oh goodie a non atheist defines what an atheist is...

He denies god 100%

Even Richard Dawkins is not a 'real' atheist according to your definition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit