Do you know of any U.S. JWs who have voted without getting DA'd?

by Open mind 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I don't see how they could d/f or d/a you in light of the current Watchtower policy.

"In view of the Scriptural principles outlined above, in many lands Jehovah’s Witnesses make a personal decision not to vote in political elections, and their freedom to make that decision is supported by the law of the land. What, though, if the law requires citizens to vote? In such a case, each Witness is responsible to make a conscientious, Bible-based decision about how to handle the situation. If someone decides to go to the polling booth, that is his decision. What he does in the polling booth is between him and his Creator." Watchtower 1999 11/1 pp.28-29 (See Voting Quotes for the full article)

Whilst voting was discussed in the old elders manual, it is not discussed at all in Shepherd the Flock.

I know of inactive JWs that vote in Australia, that have never had any trouble, but it is probably not know that they vote.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

You can be DF'd for *anything* that three elders agree upon. Willingly participating in an election is considered a violation of "Christian neutrality".

If you do not want to be excommunicated, you must keep your involvement with the Wild Beast a secret.

When the article says it's a "personal decision" to vote, it's the same as fornication being a personal decision. You personally must decide if you are going to engage in this conduct, then live with the consequences.

If anyone thinks they can attend a judicial committee, and point to this article as justification for violating their Christian neutrality, good luck.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks for all the replies so far. Good advice from Blondie, "Don't listen to 2nd hand, 3rd hand stories."

So far it looks like we've just got one 3rd hand story via MC Rubber Mallet.

@ leavingwt, you've stated quite clearly on this thread and on the other site that a U.S. JW who votes is a in line for a slam dunk DF. Is this just your own opinion or do you have something in writing or personal experience to substantiate it?

I'm not saying my opinion is necessarily right. All my current opinion is based on is my read of the 1999 QFR.

om

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Blondie, " But that applies only in countries where voting is required by secular law like Australia. "

I had not really noticed that the article directs the decision about voting specifically to countries where voting is compulsory, but it seems you are correct, since the information about being a conscience matter does follow the comment " What, though, if the law requires citizens to vote?"

The rest of the article does leave it very vague and up in the air as to whether or not a JW can vote.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

OM: So long as you don't confess to voting, you should be fine. My concern was that you may have interpreted that article as New Light on Christian neutrality.

Here's an example of how JWs view voting. Watch the video.

http://defendingjehovahswitnesses.blogspot.com/2009/11/why-dont-jehovahs-witnesses-vote-pledge.html

(Everything I say here is my opinion. However, I'm on your team, not theirs. These people don't play fair.)

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

We always used to see it as a clear offence for which d/a'ing was invented. However, in recenttimes The Society has given mixed messages about it. I asked an elder if they had had any specific guidance and he said No.

Discussion with active dubs led to the conclusion that although it was something that a J W just would not want to do, if they view the world as "Satan's" , it was not something to be expelled for. No doubt loss of priviliges would result.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit