Do you know of any U.S. JWs who have voted without getting DA'd?

by Open mind 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind

I recently registered to vote in California and will be going to the polls on Election Day to experience what many Americans do as soon as they turn 18. I could mail in my ballot, but I want to check the whole scene in-person.

I posted this info on another forum recently and have been told that I'm as good as DA'd if I'm discovered. I'd like to pose this question here since JWN gets much more traffic.

Do you have any knowledge of a U.S. JW registering to vote and going to the polls without getting DA'd?

My read of the 1999 QFR leads me to believe that there are at least a couple of scenarios where a JW could register and go to the polls and not be looked upon as having "violated neutrality".

Anyone have experience with this?

om

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

I voted this year for the second time in the Netherlands elections. I'm still JW, but not active in field service. I did it at an busy public place. I told nobody about it.

Still I hoped that some JW noticed my voting, for starting the discussion about the WT published in the 90's about JW allowing to vote.

Gorby

• moshe
    moshe

If JWs were truly neutral, they wouldn't be lapping up the charity from Caesar's social programs, but rather continue faithfully waiting for jehoover's kingdom to fix the ills of the world.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have voted here in the U.K ever since I walked away from the Cult, I would love for them to DA or DF me for that !!

Boy would I, the Press and the TV stations have a field day with that one !

• blondie
    blondie

Even if they could prove you registered how could they prove you voted? BTW does your area allow you to vote by mail...might be too late now but next time. We voted by mail the first few years and now just go in. Never heard of someone being da'd for that probably because it is hard to prove.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I don't think it's likely for the elders would come to be aware of someone voting, unless they were doing a stake out. Where I live, you vote at a location determined by your residence, maybe someone driving by might notice your car there. Your location is listed on your voter registration card. The elders would have to be really proactive to figure out where your polling place is, and then watch to see if you go there.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I don't think they can DA/DF you. You might be reproved or counseled. Might lose some priviliges.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Rumore I heard from a brother from Maryland: There were 2 sisters in Maryland who got df'ed for voting for Obama. He claimed they were in his hall, but different cong.

It is officially 3rd hand information, so don't base any decisions on it.

• blondie
    blondie

Just mail it in f rom now on. The only thing that is kept track of in my area is who registers and they need more than your name to find that out. It is more likely some jws talk too freely about voting because they think there is no problem because of that article. But that applies only in countries where voting is required by secular law like Australia. Even there you can get an exemption.

Don't listen to 2nd hand, 3rd hand stories. They are just like all jw stories like that. No one who knows anything directly, no names, no locations, nothing that can be confirmed. *the names have been changed

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

I second what blondie said.

I posted it because there may have been someone on the board who says "Hey, that's BS! I was in that hall" or "Hey, that was me!"

It's a small world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit