The poor and deprived life of JW children.

by Esse quam videri 64 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brandnew
    brandnew
    You never missed em.....cuz you never had one to miss......
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I don't feel deprived, I just think its silly. I could careless not celebrating my birthday etc, but when someone says to you "happy birthday" or "merry christmas" to have to invest the energy to not respond to someone just trying to be kind is crazy, that bothers me. I don't feel I missed anything, but just to be nice back to someone and say happy birthday is just a small human kindness, nothing more nothing less. Putting so much thought and energy into avoiding something so nonsensical is a major component of keeping the cult members sedated to reality.
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

They have indoctrinated you well, I see.

And why do you keep comparing your experience as a young JW boy to someone in school? Did you not go to school? I can think of LOTS of things children experience in school that they might also experience in JW land ... and then some.

I gave my first bible reading at age 7.

Exhilarating, exciting, mind blowing for a 7 year old. What kid at school got to experience that?

You got to experience this as a young JW! Wow! I grew up as a JW and I NEVER got to do a bible reading!

Oh wait ... I'm a girl.

I guess it's a good thing I got to experience reading aloud in front of audiences and giving presentations to an audience AT SCHOOL.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    What, I was a top student and athlete that didn't get to go to college and was working full time at only 14. Not only did I miss out but the religion has away of killing all your hopes and dreams because they do not matter since the new system is so close. So bite me to be blunt.
  • nugget
    nugget

I am glad you enjoyed your JW childhood. I tried to ensure that my children also found enjoyment in their JW childhood too. However despite my efforts I was not blind to the damage the faith was doing to them. You enjoyed giving talks and doing magazine routes well it seems that this faith played to your ego and allowed you to be praised within that setting. As a young man you would be nurtured and this religion would help you to feel important and entitled.

You cannot assume that your upbringing reflects that of others or that your experience is more valid than someone elses. This attitude is very much a reflection of the organisations. Others have experiences less happy childhoods and feel that they have missed out. It has been said that no child brought up in a cult or hgh control group has ever had a normal childhood.

• Sauerkraut
    Sauerkraut
    I would gladly have been deprived of having all that fear instilled into me as a child. JW children get some very distorted ideas hammered into their innocent little minds, which may not ever leave them fully. It's a violation of an innocent being and is inexcusable.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

Speaking of mind blowing, check out this 7 year old.

Seven year old sing "Amazing Grace".

Maybe someone can post it, under " I never knew a 7 year old could

sing 'Amazing Grace. Now she is mind blowing.

• rebel8
    rebel8

What kid at school got to experience that?

Just off the top of my head, many kids who attend Catholic Churches got to experience that. Kids who compete in spelling bees, sing the national anthem at ballparks...

What kid in school got to experience the feeling I had on those Saturdays?

Just off the top of my head, every single kid who has a paper route. Oh, except they were selling publications that didn't mislead and manipulate people.

Was I an unhappy kid because I did not celebrate all those x-mas, easter, birthdays,etc, etc, etc.? No, no and again no.If you are an adult and feel you had a deprived childhood, grow up and get over it.

What harsh, mean-spirited BS. Have you ever heard of a concept of empathy, meaning you can attempt to have a smidge of compassion for others?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Being a young male in a misogynistic religion and also having a non-jw dad probably tempered your experience. I was a young girl with a jw-convert dad who worked hard to climb the jw ladder of success. We had *NO* vacation - EVER. What little money there may have been for even an over-night vacation went to kingdom hall projects.

I, too, however, thought I was special and privileged. As an adult, I see my current peers who had amazing and mind-blowing experiences that far eclipsed the thrill of placing a magazine with a kind neighbor woman.

We had some good experiences as kids, but even just one real vacation to remember as a family would be a real nice memory for me and my siblings. You were lucky.

-Aude.

• Viviane
    Viviane

My mom's birthday was last week. Today we had a birthday party for her, aged flank steak with chimuchurri sauce, corn roasted in husk, grilled Ceasar salad and a vanilla cake with almond butter frosting.

My kids had a great time with their grandmother, spending a day with her, for her, giving her presents and cards they picked out and wrapped.

Depriving people of normal social interaction is despicable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit