Do the elders have "clear direction" that it's ok to use an ipad at meetings?

by nochoice 35 Replies latest jw friends

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

I have not set foot in a KH for a year...yippee. But I was using my iPad because I was going so sporadically that I never kept up with what we were studying. What could be downloaded then was limited. Watchtower, the book study book (can't remember title) and the bible. I was only one to use it. Got lots of comments. Nothing negative. It was the only cool thing about going to that place by that time.

• sir82
    sir82
    When considering page 5, have
    a three-minute demonstration of a publisher with
    a mobile device using the site to answer a householder’s
    question about our beliefs.

Seriously? They are encouraging JWs to look up info on the internet in "real time" with householders?

That's going to cause a serious backfire when the householder pulls out his own device and shows them something from JWFacts, Freeminds, Watchtower Quotes, etc.

What's the JW going to say, "Oh I can't look at that, it's an apostate site"? What kind of "witness" does that give? It just makes the JW look like a loon with his head in the sand.

Even if that doesn't happen - does the WTS really want to encourage the public to look up info on JWs on the internet after the JW leaves his doorstep, when far more than 99% of JW-related websites are fiercely anti-JW?

Can they really be that stupid? I mean, I know they are idiots, but are they really that god-awfully beyond-redemption idiotic?

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Can they really be that stupid? I mean, I know they are idiots, but are they really that god-awfully beyond-redemption idiotic?

These are the same people that publish that their seven day conventions from years ago were the seven trumpet blasts of Revelation, you know the answer to that question, Sir.

Either that or this is another example to me that there's another faction within the upper echelons of the organization working to undermine the organization as a whole.

• nochoice
    nochoice

Regarding "real time" service help on the ipad from the society's site while in the ministry, I sincerely doubt it will be used that way. But, it's going to give the sheep a sense that the society is on the cutting edge!

There will be articles in the study WT about brothers that foiled householder's attempts to trip them up on doctrine. And even though it will all be made up, most sheep will assume the WT pretty much owns the Internet. So when the society tells them to ignore apostate sites, the society will seem more credible.

That's my thoughts on why the society is so stupid as to send the friends into the feild with the very technology that got most of us out!

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

I knew a snobby, materialistic elder who once did the announcements reading from his Blackberry. (back when Blackberrys were considered "elitist" technology).

He couldn't just put the phone on the podium and read off it discreetly. No, he had to hold it up in the air so everyone could see that it was a Blackberry.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I think it all depends on the congregation. I've been to halls where maybe only 5 people are using an iPad or tablet. In my congregation, it's probably closer to 15-20% (elders and MS included). In fact during last week's Bible study, the person sitting next to me nudged me and pointed out that he was the only person out of 8 people in the row that WASN'T using an iPad. It made me laugh because the School Overseer TM had to quickly put his away when it was his turn to conduct The School since they are forbidden on stage.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Mr. Falcon....that's hysterical. It reminds me of something YEARS ago. A brother who'd moved cross-country for a hi-tech job dropped the meeting for a visit. (This was just after the first WT CD-ROM) was released.) He proceeded to fire up his laptop, plug it into the wall (this was a long time ago) and furiously take notes throught the Public Talk. Then when it came time for the WT Study, he started raising his hand and citing obscure references straight off his screen, all the while loudly clacking away on his keyboard. The conductor (my dad) fell for it twice, then just stopped calling on him.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Then when it came time for the WT Study, he started raising his hand and citing obscure references straight off his screen, all the while loudly clacking away on his keyboard.

Hahahahahahahaha what a tool! I had my laptop up one time during an RBC meeting and they asked me to plug it in the main view so everyone could see the stupid site plan.

Mr. Falcon was sweating bullets, you see, because he had some top notch adult entertainment on there.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Bumping the thread for more people to be aware of what's posted by AnonJW on page 1. I still go to meetings, but hadn't looked ahead at what was planned for this upcoming Service Meeting. Surreal! I'll be interested to see how the audience reacts to the iPresentations.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Our company was a victim of Black Hat SEO and a Phishing site this week.

People thought the fake site was our company site. It was on google page one!....ready to take your credit card number.......

What an education!!

I was thinking of the hysterical possibilities if such a hacker hit the JW.org site during a meeting. Young people ask.....illustrated......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit