Do the elders have "clear direction" that it's ok to use an ipad at meetings?

by nochoice 35 Replies latest jw friends

• nochoice
    nochoice

I read this post more than a year ago: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/212313/1/Watchtower-Publications-for-iPad

Since I saw it, I've been waiting for the first brother or sister to show up at the hall with an ipad to see what happens. So far, none. A little here and there at the conventions and assemblies.

I know a few in our hall that were tallking about using it when the new Jeremiah book is started, but it seems like no one wants to be first.

I've searched the threads and don't see any new info on this. Sorry if it's there and I missed it. Are they used in elder meetings yet? Any one hear of an ipad on the podium yet for a service meeting part or public talk?

I am sure each hall will be different as to how conservative the brothers might be. But is there "clear direction" yet as to whether it's kosher to show up at the hall with just your ipad?! I hear you can highlight scriputures that are referenced in the WT and books and link right to them. I am assuming the song book would be on there too.

I can't wait to dilegently work on other things during the meeting!

• Badfish
    Badfish

One of my relatives told me she uses her iPad at the KH.

• lostinthought
    lostinthought

You can use them at your seat but not on stage. I've brought mine to the meeting when I don't have a copy of the wt. I've even used my phone at the convention for the bible...but then got very sued tracked and instead of following along was reading books on the Kendal app.

• minimus
    minimus

I'd use my ipad to play words with friends during the meetings, if I were still there.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

If I were on the platform giving a talk off of an Ipad, I guarantee you that I would have a paper back up underneath it. Gremlins and all. Do not ever trust electronics 100%.

Rich (Snakes ... of the "glad I do not have to worry about 'giving talks' but want an IpadĀ® now" Sheep Class)

• jws
    jws

When I went to a few hours of the District Convention, I loaded my iPhone with a PDF of the song book, a JW-bible app, and a PDF of the convention schedule. I thought to myself, wow! Being a JW is so easy these days. I used to have to carry around a bible, a song book, a watchtower, a notepad (sometimes), etc. Now it can all be conveniently on one little device the size of a calculator. One I carry around anyway.

Then I got there and discovered I was by far in the minority. In fact, I may have been the only one using technology. I did see somebody with an iPad filming the drama and another with some other smart phone doing the same. But as far as using it for normal JW tasks like the literature, nobody that I could tell. I felt eyes on the back of my head as I was to scriptures in mere seconds as opposed to what seemed like endless page flipping to find scriptures from all around me.

I live in a major metroplex that does have plenty of technology. In any group of people I meet, I'm almost always bound to find programmers. Maybe not among JWs, but I'm just saying, it's not like the district is filled with hillbillies.

I did get the feeling that some were maybe looking at me thinking, wow, that's cool! He's only gotta carry one thing and he can look up scriptures even faster! I imagined the gears turning.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

I know that the WTBTS has their new website actully optimized for viewing on iOS and mobile devices (with videos encoded to run in Quicktime, the native video format for iPads and iPhones). I know for SURE of ONE elder (a relative) who owns an iPad and takes it to meetings, uses it for taking notes and adding margin comments to on-line pubs, etc. I think he also uses an app called "Ministry School Timer" during meetings to keep track of timing.

I don't think he uses it on the podium, though, when speaking: I suspect that would be considered a "showy display" (as some view them as toys, or worse: status symbols), but I'm not sure if he does or not....

Oh, I just checked, and there's apps in the App Store called "JWPlayer" that plays podcasts and content available from jw.org, and another called "JW Reader" for downloading articles, pubs, etc. There's also one called "Mytime", to keep track of service hours, LOL! Someone must be using those apps....

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Our Secretary, and another elder use tablets. A couple of ministerial servants do so as well. So long as its not being used from the platform its ok. Quite a few of our younger sisters have tablets.

Second Snakes sentiments in that even if ok I'd be leary of using a tablet or ereader from the platform. Way too much potential for problems. They freeze, get sluggish, you might touch the wrong link. So much easier with a regular bible and whatever else you might need on paper.

• jws
    jws

Oh yeah, the "showy display" angle. These things can run on an iPhone too and I wouldn't consider an iPhone showy anymore. Of course the screen is smaller.

jw-bible is another app on the app store. Upon initialization, it asks you for your preferred language, then downloads the appropriate translation. I wonder if that was to save space or some sort of legal thing where it's really downloading it from jw.org or something behind the scenes. That way the content isn't being stored on another site (Apple).

I don't know about not using it from a platform. I suppose that speaks to the fear of anything going wrong. I bring powerpoints and such to meetings on my iPhone at work and use them all the time. Even when I'm conducting the meeting or speaking. IF anything ever goes wrong, there's backups. I can take a break and go get a laptop or borrow someone else's technology or printed copy. But then again, at work, most presentations are sent out ahead of time and everybody has a copy with them or copies are brought. Different from a JW meeting.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

We had a visiting public speaker recently who is a prominent member of the WT Clergy Class in the circuit. He was studying his WT using his iPad.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit