When you were a JW, Did you think Prayers did any good?

by tresdecu 19 Replies latest jw friends

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

"Prayer" was the first brick to fall for me. The first thing I questionned, and that crumbled my whole theistic wall.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

bttt. thanks for your thoughts.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

But if she turns up dead, Does that mean Jah. didn't answer their prayers?

Apparently yes. Or there was no Jah listening in the first place. But no worries right? Because

Now all the ones praying for her to be found are dismissing it with a hope in the "resurrection"

It appears sweet on the surface and everyone smiles and nods but deep down none of these words help those closest to her.

Her husband will fade away from the organization and so will many of her family members.

• moshe
    moshe

It seems that magical thinking is a general human weakness-

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

No cuz Santa never came.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

@Tylin, regarding your comment...I remember a pioneer sister saying a long time ago, that if she ever lost her son, she doesn't really want to her the "ressurection bla bla bla" direct quote....because it won't help in that initial time of grieving, she said maybe later...but not then. I thought that was pretty interesting for her to admit. I totally agreed. I felt the same way.

I doubt her family members will fade away though, in their minds after this initial shock and extreme grief, the paradise will be their only ticket to see her again. IMO anyway...honestly who knows.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Nope! I grew up in the JW but I never was a true believer! I thougt prayers were ridiculous..why on earth keep nagging on an omniscient god?

• Giordano
    Giordano

When I was a ten year old Catholic I prayed for a bike...every day. No bike. So then I stole one. Then I prayed for forgiveness and kept the bike.....prayer works if you do it right.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Prayer for me was close to meditation and self examination. It was something I was trained to do from infancy. Prayer in times of turmoil provided me with inner strength and a better mindset to take personal action.

I agree with Tylinbrando. When I was in prayer did help me. But it was also one of the first things I stopped believing in.

When I was 17 I prayed for help finding the right marriage mate when it was the right time. Five months later a former bethelite and elder's son who was 7 years my senior proposed to me. I took this as Jehovah's direction, married him, and spent the next 27 years regretting it. The man was an abusive ne'er-do-well who put me through hell. I felt as though I'd asked for an egg but was handed a scorpion.

• hellenback
    hellenback

I realised from a young age that prayer was a waste of time. I realised that if god really cared then the Elders kids that were held up as paragons of virtue by the cong , while we all knew they were going to nightclubs , were drinking alcohol & fornicating at every opportunity would be exposed but never were. That the same elders that were warning us of the dangers of materialism were driving around in flash cars ,living in expensive £1.000.000 houses (in the late 70s early 80s) basicly hypocritical scum. Not to mention the fact that brothers & sisters were being murdered & raped in Malawi even though we would pray for them at every meeting & mealtime at home proved that prayer is a total waste of time & that even if there was a god he didnt really give a flying F**K about us at all . Prayer is like Placebo medicine, It does no physical good but makes us feel better inside or gives hope no matter how unfounded that hope is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit