When you were a JW, Did you think Prayers did any good?

by tresdecu 19 Replies latest jw friends

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

The missing 21 year old woman in Oregon got me thinking...So many JWs comment on her FB Page 'praying for you'...'constant daily prayers' etc. What is the point? I know it is a natural human emotion, to want to contribute in some small way when something bad happens. But if she turns up dead, Does that mean Jah. didn't answer their prayers? What if she is found? Wonderful!!! Well in that case, he answered their prayers right?! That's what so many will think. Why did he (hypothetically) answer prayers about Whitney and why didn't he answer the prayers of everyone else that prays for a JW in a time of need.

I guess this isn't just JWs but every Christian that prayes for something. I know I used to do it...illogical, cause I knew that 'time and unforseen occurance befall us all'

I guess I am just rambling. Christians, believers...give me your thoughts. Atheists give me yours too...lol

• happy@last
    happy@last

When I was, no I didn't, I just believed in coincidences and still do now, and dont pray anymore either.

I think it has a placebo effect on people though, so for some it can help, in the example you gave it makes no difference whether prayers are made or not.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Yes, I did.

And, I still do.

Doc

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

People dont realise that an answered prayer is a miracle..... the interaction of a superior being, making alterations to suit your requests.

All the while the christian babies die every day of starvation.... but Brother Bullshit got a cheap car to pionner with at just the right price!

(broke down 4 months later)

• hoser
    hoser

They made me feel guilty when they went unanswered, so I worked harder in the congregation. So yes prayers did good, only not for me.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Prayer for me was close to meditation and self examination. It was something I was trained to do from infancy. Prayer in times of turmoil provided me with inner strength and a better mindset to take personal action. I prayed with people all the time at the drop of a hat. During Elders meetings when things would get contentious I would insist on stopping to pray. I would fall asleep at night praying. I would challenge others on their lack of prayer specifically the other elders who were obvious douchebags. I used prayer like a weapon. If someone questioned me about something I said that they didn't agree with, I would say let's pray about it right now.

Yeah, I was over the top.

If all the JWs praying for Whitney and doing their best to help Law Enforcement would put the same effort into eradicating the pedophiles in their congregations I would be more impressed.

Words and supplication are cheap.

• simon17
    simon17

I believed prayers worked while in.

I didn't really understand why they didn't seem to work for me.

Then I realized they don't really work.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

I always doubted. Things didn't quite add up. "Why did prayer work for them, but not for me?" I would chalk up those inconsistencies to, "God has a time for everything, he's in charge, he knows what he's doing."

I'm a naturalist, I believe everything has natural as opposed to a supernatural explanation.

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

They might help if the criminal happens to read about them and has a tiny piece of humanism in him.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I gave it a chance, and nothing. Not only nothing, but Jehovah made things worse. One way to ensure never getting anything was to thank Jehovah for it while it was en route. Doing that was his green light to put the kabosh on it, knowing he already got the thanks he wanted.

Lesson: NEVER thank Jehovah for ANYTHING.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit