Argument against a GLOBAL Flood

by enigma1863 55 Replies latest jw friends

• enigma1863
    enigma1863

How many people existed before the biblical flood? In the bible From Adam to Noah they have around 1600-1700 years. Adam had at least three children (one dies and not counting the daughters) in a 930 year life span. Noah had three sons in 500 years. How many could be on earth at that time? Maybe a few thousand. So why would God flood the ENTIRE earth to drown a few thousand people?
    </form>
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt

Jehovah loves to watch animals die painful deaths.

Ever watched the Nature programs on TV?

The planet is a non-stop arms race between predator and prey.

By flooding the whole planet, he created a huge disturbance in the Force, with millions of mammals crying out.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

P's genealogy in ch. 5 has " and he had other sons and daughters" as a refrain at each link in the genealogy. With life spans running into nine centuries, that can potentially result in an enormous number of children.

I think better arguments are ones that recognize that a global flood is flatly contradicted by almost every branch of science.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

that a global flood is flatly contradicted by almost every branch of science.

Including dendrochronology?

• enigma1863
    enigma1863

No argument works 100% of the time. I know its a softball argument but I still think its a good argument to get people thinking. I mean they obviously dont believe there were more people than today. there is a time span of more than four thousand years to get to 7 billion people. I would also try to point out and ask where were they before the flood? did they really only travel a few hundred miles in a boat after more than a year?

• jam
    jam

A few thoughts.

How did all the modern plant species survive?

How did all the fish survive?

How did disases survive?

How did short-lived species survive?

How could more than a handful of species survive in a

devastated habitat?

How did predators survive?

Why is there no mention of the flood in the records of Egyptian

or Mesopotamin civilizations which existed at that time?

( In 1 Kings 6:1, Gal. 3:17 various generation lengths given in

Genesis), place the flood 1300 years before Solomon begain the first

temple. Eastern history, particularly for Egypt, from many kinds of

records from the literate cultures in the near East, dates the first

temple built 950 BC + or- some small delta, placing the flood around 2250 BC.

Egyptians (among others) have written records dating well before

Biblical date for the flood. No sign in Egyptian inscriptions of this

global flood around 2250 B.C,

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Simple to me. For one, how'd Noah fit all those different species on the Ark?

The other thing to me is, people look way too deep into scriptural accounts. When it was written that the earth was flooded, who's to say they weren't speaking about the earth as they knew it? Its similar to Jersusalem being desolated. It wasnt completely unpopulated, but definately a shell of its former self.

Its misunderstanding of semantics on steroids to believe the entire earth was flooded.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Enigma, i appreciate the overall point, although i prefer to reason the science of the ark and species preservation, bit you point about population raises some interesting question in the post flood world! Leolia has written some fabulous things on that

• ziddina
    ziddina

Decent point, Enigma...

Of course, there are many more logical, scientifically-based reasons that show no global flood ever occurred.

Gravity would have IMMEDIATELY pulled down the "watery canopy" that supposedly existed "above" the "heavens"...

The geologic records show NO global, universal "flood" strata exists anywhere on earth...

Dating methods show that humanity is far, far older than the mere 6,000 years that humans supposedly have 'existed' since they were 'created'...

DNA research shows that many organisms have very ancient ancestries that pre-date the supposed 'global flood'...

Dinosaur fossils are clearly laid down in strata that predates humans by a great span of time...

And so on and so forth...

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Dont listen to her, she believes in dragons.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit