Standard of Living in the New System

by cobaltcupcake 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

I used to wonder about this when I was still a Dub: Since they believe the industrialized world is going to be destroyed and the entire earth will be one big garden, exactly what kind of standard of living do they think they will have?

While they might be able to scavenge, say, a microwave oven or washing machine; and they might be able to figure out how to generate electricity, eventually all of these things will wear out and they'll be back in an early 18th century type of life.

People of that time and earlier who enjoyed a high standard of living employed armies of servants to do the dirty work, but since equality will reign in the NS, everyone will have to toil like a slave just to maintain the basics.

Or do they think that Big J will magically power their washing machines and water pumps and all the stuff that makes modern living so comfortable?

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Among the many inconveniences (by modern standards) that seem to be, ahem, imminent in the new system, there are a host of other far more dangerous things that will unleash havoc if left unattended....

Lile this one for example..

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Yes, this was always a point of contention for me too. Is it really paradise?

On several occassions I got into it with other dubs by asking who is going to make toilet paper in the new system? This usually always led to quite an interesting discussion/debate, that usually was countered with Jehovah will see to all our needs, all we need to do is have faith, and do what he asks now and the rest will work itself out.

You do make a solid point with what happens when the machinery wears out though. I guess we'll be so busy farming and going to meetings, there probably won't be any time to think too deeply about questions like these, or get into trouble...LOL.

Until there is proof to the contrary, count me out.

• thinking_not_believing
    thinking_not_believing

im pretty sure they thinkjehovah is gonna unleash a new theocratic science of never ending clean energy and is gonna zap pollution! he will also zap the shit from the port a potties while u sleepbetween the sheep and vegetarian lion! all the meanwhile carving your own ukelele (spelling?) and having an eternity to play it... wait dont think about it? pass out magazines instead! (that was always the elders response in the 90s)

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Good questions!

The problem with JW Paradise, (if you assume technology is eliminated like they show in the pictures) is what happens when someone gets bored and starts inventing technological products? Will they be branded a sinner? Killed off for not settling for an old fashioned butter churning device?

Do they really expect people to be happy forever if all they get to do is garden, play musical instruments, and eat fruit platters everyday?

• Fed-up
    Fed-up

We once had a C.O. who told us that many brothers and sisters would have to LOWER thier standard of living to live in the New World....explaining that Jehovah didn't promise us a boat or more than one home or...fill in the blank. As far as where the toilet paper will come from...it's likely in the same cateorgy as "will we eat meat?" I believe the answer to that went more or less 'Knowing this is not pertinent for your survival at this time...' About as close as they get to saying "Huh? We Dunno..."

Just another thought on the T.P., sorry, you got me started...Wasn't there an old article on how perfect bodies would process all food so efficiently that there would be no need to poop or something like that (askMarvinShilmer.com)? Maybe I'm confusing an old Golden Age article with a Seinfeld episode. Happens all the time.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

CCC said:

but since equality will reign in the NS, everyone will have to toil like a slave just to maintain the basics.

Just wait for the New Light from the GB:

I predict within 20 years they will announce that the resurrected will be the LITERAL "slave" class in the New System, since they're supposed to be resurrected as eunuchs (a trait that's often associated with domestics in the OT, and that'll teach THEM to die before Armageddon!).

Problem solved!

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Yan Bibiyan...I was thinking of the exact same thing. I remember seeing something on Discovery (?) a few years ago that tracked what would happen if all humans suddenly vanished from the Earth. Once the power grid went down and the backup generators ran out of gas, the spent fuel rods would trigger a nuclear meltdown...all within mere days of the power grid going down. The program said that there are something like 300+ reactors in mainland Europe alone. So basically within days, all of Europe would be a nuclear wasteland.

That is, unless there was divine intervention...............

I've mentioned this fact on occassion to my Dub friends and they shrug and say "...well, who knows...".

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

RO said:

The program said that there are something like 300+ reactors in mainland Europe alone. So basically within days, all of Europe would be a nuclear wasteland.

That is, unless there was divine intervention...............

I've mentioned this fact on occassion to my Dub friends and they shrug and say "...well, who knows...".

Well, it's a damned good thing all JWs have prepared their little survival bags/kits, filled with water, falshlight, and snacks! God's gonna have his hands full with the big stuff (like preventing nuclear meltdowns), so he won't have time to provide snacks for a snack break!

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Just another thought on the T.P., sorry, you got me started...Wasn't there an old article on how perfect bodies would process all food so efficiently that there would be no need to poop or something like that (askMarvinShilmer.com)? Maybe I'm confusing an old Golden Age article with a Seinfeld episode.

Haha.My counter to that would be...vegtable eating animals poop are they imperfect?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit