I may have found it! (In my pursuit of a degree)

by MC RubberMallet 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

I posted a while ago I was interested in psychology. And I had many options in mind to get a degree for. But I found my knack!

Computer science!

I took Calculus I and II, Statistics, Faithful and Discreet Math, QBasic, Turbo Pascal, and C++ and other math and computer science courses. After High School, I got away from it, but very recently I designed a game for Basic from memory! I purchased books and brushed up in programming and think this may be it!

Looking into online schools now! Any advice would be great, I want to get enrolled asap!

• perfect1
    perfect1

try to go to school in person!

Those online schools are the worst and have come under scrutiny recently.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/11/education/11phoenix.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Dude, if your interested in psychology but have a knack for computer science, look into cognitive science! It's a perfect fit (and also happens to be what I am going to school for)

Edit: Ah yes, just read the above. Go to a real school, even if you start at a community college.

• jgnat
    jgnat

If you want to audit for no credit try www.coursera.org

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Good to know, I'm contemplating starting to go for a C.S. degree in the next few months too.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

@BOC - What type of job would you expect to obtain with a Cognitive Science degree? I assume somethng in research and development.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

really cool stuff like ai and processing algorithms

i'm not sure exactly how it'd apply, but it'd probably be pretty helpful in designing some of the "mind controlled" type devices that are being made.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

TOOTIRED - yes, either R&D or academia. From what I understand, it is far more "marketable" to have a Masters or PhD. Some schools offer Bachelors, and not long ago I saw Google had job openings for bachelors in cognitive science.

• VM44
    VM44

"Faithful and Discreet Math"?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

BOC, been meaning to ask: who is your avatar? I've been wracking my brain, but cannot remember his name!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit