I may have found it! (In my pursuit of a degree)

by MC RubberMallet 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• VM44
    VM44

I can anwer the question of who is pictured in BOC's avatar.

It is Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Ah, thanks VM44!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I was one of the few JWs that did not buy into the "no education" mantra. I completed my terminal degree and have a CPA and a few additonal certifications. I teach both on line and traditional colleges. Depending upon what you want to do, don't automatically assume that on-line programs are unacceptable.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I always start with the following question "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

• rather be in hades
  • laverite
    laverite

Don't go to a for-profit. Stick with a well-regarded ground campus. Many state universities also allow you to do courses online or hybrid. Don't go to an online school!!!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I'm in an area of many great universities, so it would be tough to compete for jobs around here with an online degree. Plus, being at a university gets tons of networking connections ... TONS!

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Thanks for the great advice! I would love to learn on campus but I liked the flexibility of online learning, so I appreciate the warning!

I will look into cognitive science to see what it's all about. In the multitude of counselors....

Is there a difference between an online school and taking online courses from a campus-originated school?

• perfect1
    perfect1

MC:

Yes there is a difference!

In the end you have to put the name of the school on your resume- the online, for profit schools (DeVry, University of Phoenix, etc) are not well regarded.

If you go to a campus school, it is unlikely that that school could be any worse than an online school. Even private, elite universities which are not necessarily non-profit are better. Community college is the best option if you are a resident of some state and on a budget. State University is also an option.Those schools will have online courses, managed in different ways, so it is different.

Also, the school you go to will have a reputation. You want to go to the school with the best reputation you can afford or be accepted to. When I first started college I didnt understand this. After 7 years of higher education believe me, it absolutely matters in terms of quality of education as well as connections made and opportunities available and resources.

Here is a link to the go to for Uni ratings:

http://www.usnews.com/rankings

It can also be helpful to look at these in the reverse order to avoid the lemons.

List of for profit universities (AVOID):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_for-profit_universities_and_colleges

I am so happy when any JW ex or now goes to college! PM me if you want. I will try to help.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Perfect1 - you have a PM.

NY44M - It maybe too vague or too specific, but programming I enjoy. Obviously I need boatloads more of understanding and skill to become good. To have a career doing something I enjoy is how I see myself when I grow up.

All - Is working full time and campus learning putting too much on one plate? I understand it's circumstantial, but given the time commitment needed for both, would be it suggested?

• Badfish
    Badfish

Another major you might want to look into besides Computer Science is Information Technology.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit