The Society debunked the rumored new light on the F&DS in 1973

by Leolaia 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sulla
    Sulla

FWFranz, I do think this is move may be related. The weird hybrid apostolic succession teaching of the JWs has never been coherent. Of course, a lack of coherence is hardly a reason for them to change a teaching. But one thing I believe is really driving doctrine with the JWs is their theory of the church.

By that I mean the way in which they claim legitimacy. Thus, we see the preposterous doubling down on the 607 doctrine. Why? Because they know 607 means 1914 which means 1919. The reason they double down is because it related to the ability of the GB to make rules. Can't be changed.

Similar thing with this. I think we are looking at a period of change in many teachings of the JWs. Given their history, it would be good to assume they will reverse themselves and make changes that really anger lots of people. In this context, and given much eralier JW history, it would be important to re-emphasize exactly who is in charge. If the FDS is lots of people, you could have a crisis of legitimacy. They need more degrees of freedom.

designs, I doubt very much that the JWs are concerned with the claims of the old Bible Students. On the other hand, I think there was a very good lesson learned from that schism; one they will not risk again.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

so not appointed in 1919 over Christ's belongings? So they are just another religion waiting on God to step in.

• cofty
    cofty

If you were on the GB and you were thinking about a change of doctrine would you not propose it to a few trusted, intelligent individuals and ask them to play devil's advocate? That way you avoid making a fool of yourself as they have done with this latest debacle. Idiots!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

why the need to ask for advice when u talk to God?

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

The GB are using this message board, they probably let leak the annual meeting and using this board to refine how they print it.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Leolaia: I do not understand how the new interpretation is supposed to make any sense ...

That's your problem. You expect it to make sense.

Leolaia: ... so far the doctrinal change sounds incoherent to me.

That's because it is incoherent. Did you forget? These are the same people that gave us "Overlapping Generation" as an explanation for what Jesus meant at Matthew 24:34.

They've completely made a mess of their so-called "Theology" and every attempt to shore it up only makes it worse. The only thing they could do to possibly make it right is to admit they have no idea what the hell they're talking about, scrap it all and start over from scratch. They'll never do that.

As for your reference to Crazy Freddie's clearly articulated rebuttal to the current rumored "Nu-Lite", most current JWs weren't around 40 years ago. Of the few that were, how many would even remember that with all the changes in doctrine that have occurred since then? Not many I'd guess. Even still, the R&F are fully indoctrinated to accept any new teaching no matter how ridiculous or contrary to previous teachings.

Let's review: It's a cult!

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

The GB are using this message board, they probably let leak the annual meeting and using this board to refine how they print it.

My thoughts too.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Splash: It's also a good opportunity to drop the non-scriptural label "Governing Body".

Right. If the FDS = the GB then having two terms to describe the same group of people is redundantly unnecessary.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

At least we now know why they dont want anybody to write in with questions that the Gibbering Buddy has not already discussed in the litterature.

They will be inundated.

HB

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Someone also pointed out that the reward given to the F&DS will be all Christ's belongings. This means that the F&DS must continue to be faithful & discreet continuously from 1919 until his return but all the anointed are supposed to recieve the reward of being Kings & Priests. Therefore, their gift is now dependent on a group of 8 men.

Listener....Not just them, the prospective members of the great crowd too, who only have a chance at salvation through their association with the anointed. That is something that really struck me when I was thinking this through last night. It kind of throws things up in the air. When it's the whole anointed, at least you can say there is a sifting, as the Society claims happened in 1918, to purify the remnant and salvation is secure because Christ chooses the organization that remains faithful through that sifting. But now if the promotion occurs at Armageddon, then there is a possibility that it is the wicked slave that is in charge of the house when the master returns. And with the number down to just the 8 on the GB, well, that makes individual imperfection more pronounced. Heck, Ray Franz was on the GB...the GB surely views him as an apostate. Chitty and Greenless were on the GB at the same time. It seems like with such a small number, its much easier for the FD&S to "go bad".

The Society's explanation of the parable is far removed from any realistic reading. It ignores the context and makes reality out of the details of the parable that were meant for illustrating the point about kepping ready.

Bobcat....Absolutely. What has always interested me is that the Society regarded the parable as having past reference to its own organizational history. The new understanding actually is better exegetically in one respect. It makes the Master's rewarding of the faithful servant and/or punishment of the wicked servant correspond to the coming of the Son of Man in judgment (v. 30). That is obviously the point of the parable when you compare it with the other parables in the same discourse, or note the language that is used, or look at other parallels such as Matthew 16:27 ("The Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done"). The new light about the sheep and goats (from one of the parables that parallel the faithful and wise servant parable) in 1995 similarly took something that was supposed to have already been fulfilled, or in the process of being fulfilled, and projected into the future with a fulfillment when the Son of Man comes in judgment. In both cases, the new understanding is more faithful to the text than the old one.

But the rumored new light on the F&DS takes a massive step backward at the same time. The old interpretation correctly understood the absence of the Master as corresponding to the time between Jesus' departure from the earthly sphere to his return to it (his parousia). Now there is nothing that obviously corresponds to the departure of the Master from the household at the time when the servant was given his responsibility. Indeed what the Society construes as the parousia is supposed to now precede the appointment of the servant. It makes no sense. And the whole interpretation is founded on the erroneous idea that the parousia refers to something other than the coming of the Son of Man in judgment.

It's another "generation" type fiasco. They are simply not up to producing new biblical interpretations that make any coherent sense.

slimboyfat....Their prophetic interpretations have always been rather tortured, but yeah. Very difficult to wrap one's mind around.

I suppose one of the problems that the Watchtower leadership has solved with the the first century FDS is the role of women in this supposed group.

moggy lover....I don't think they were really concerned about that, but maybe it could be a side-effect of the alleged new light.

I'd be very interested if you could expland on this, and how it is that you call it a parable, which is what I argued fairly strongly in those early weeks that it was.

Chariklo....The pericope has a parabolic form; it belongs to a specific literary genre. Parables are either similitudes or short narratives that draw analogies between persons or situations (often taken from everyday life), or which exemplify a given person or situation, in order to illustrate a moral, legal, or doctrinal point. That is obviously the case here. The faithful and wise steward parable is also narratively parallel to other parables like the parable of the talents, the parable of the thief, etc.

The parable presupposes a particular eschatological view because the very purpose of the parable is to illustrate eschatological readiness with respect to the coming of the Son of Man in judgment.

FWFranz....Very interesting stuff. I was quite bothered by this when I was a JW too. The people that the Society mentioned as possible torch-bearers of the F&DS class had really little to do with each other historically or religiously (some were non-trinitarian, some followed an annual Last Supper custom, some used some form of the tetragrammaton, some sought to bring the Bible to the masses, some protested and were persecuted by the Church, some were looking for the fulfillment of prophecy, etc.), and were utterly scattered throughout the centuries. Against this, Franz weakly argued in the same book quoted above: "Just how the 'faithful and discreet' slave class existed and served down through the centuries after the death of the apostles of the Master Jesus Christ, we do not have a distinct historical picture. Apparently one generation of the 'slave' class fed the next succeeding generation thereof" (p. 344). It's the JW version of apostolic succession, except there is precious little evidence of it in history. Even in an article about one of those torch-bearers, the Waldenses, the Society could only raise the question of whether "the Waldenses were a link in the unbroken chain of dissenters between the time of Emperor Constantine (fourth century C.E.) and the Protestant reformers of the 16th century" or were simply "an isolated phenomenon," without giving any answer to that question (1 August 1981 Watchtower, p. 12).

Nothing has really changed, except they have essentially delayed the starting point of choosing the slave. If the R&F swallow THAT, then future spin in order to further delay the " end " will be swallowed as well. Am I on the same page here? What I see is an official delaying tactic, because we know they have been doing this for years anyway.

DATA-DOG....It still makes no sense to me why the GB would want to defer into the future its own appointment over the Lord's belongings, since it is THAT EVENT, dated to 1919, that precludes any thought that the Society could be the wicked servant. All the new teaching seems to do is rob the GB of that certainty because their identification as the F&DS is now truly only prospective and dependent on their conduct from here on out. If there occurs a power struggle within the Society over the authority of the GB (or rather those appointed to be on the GB), this could come back to bite them in the butt.

That's because it is incoherent. Did you forget? These are the same people that gave us "Overlapping Generation" as an explanation for what Jesus meant at Matthew 24:34.

00DAD...I have no expectation that it be any more coherent, I'm just pointing out how like the "overlapping generation" teaching, it creates greater incoherence than there was before, and that's gonna make it a harder sell for those JWs left in the org who aren't mindless drones.

EoM....I think it'll take more than refining to fix this one, if they care to (they don't care to fix the new generation doctrine).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit