mmmm...winter will be here soon..time for comfort food.

by Glander 18 Replies latest social entertainment

• Glander
    Glander

Beautiful fall day here inspired me to a kitchen task I don't do very often. Scratch beef stock. Yep. Starting with 4 lbs of beef marrow bones and so forth. It takes several hours to roast the bones, carrots, onions, then deglaze the roasting pan and transfer to a kettle for cooking down with savory vegs and seasoning.

I will make about a quart+ of the condensed beef stock. I will freeze it in ice cube size portions of intense flavor. Turns a pot of veg soup into a gourmet meal.

A glass of Cabernet, a little french bread with sweet butter....

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hi Glander:

Have a kettle on now, simmering chicken bones I froze in anticipation of a cool, autumn eve's soup making.

Maria Callas was unwell on some score, as I recall, and Marlene Dietrich, like you, spent hours boiling down beef broth. She presented la Diva with a quart of the quintessential bovine brew, and Callas inquired where Miss Dietrich had purchased the bouillon cubes ...

Sigh....

CoCo du Potage

• Glander
    Glander

Thanks for the anecdote of Dietrich making real broth for Callas ! I use Knorr bullion cubes all the time and they are great. But the scratch stock is just sublime.

Chicken broth is a staple and so easy to make.

• compound complex
    compound complex

!!!

CoCo des Histoires Hollywood

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hm Gman, I think you've inspired me. I just got all my cooking stuff from Indiana. I think I can do this.

• Glander
    Glander

It's really easy, just time consuming.

• sherry123
    sherry123

I have been sick and sure have wanted some soup,but since I live alone have had no one here to go get it....Oh well....

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Jambalya.

• Glander
    Glander

sherry123, I wish I could send you a cup of hot broth. Soup is fairly easy. a few wilted vegies, or frozen vegs, a piece of chicken or what have you and you have a nourishing hot soup. broth cubes are cheap and good to have on hand.

Hope you feel better soon.

G

• Satanus
    Satanus

I started using 'better than broth' organic. It's close to the real thing, and no msg, to speak of.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit