mmmm...winter will be here soon..time for comfort food.

by Glander 18 Replies latest social entertainment

• Glander
    Glander

It's all good. I have always considered soup, in all it's variations, to be a basic form of sustenance and one of the best ways to nourish oneself when ill or siimply to get the most from whatever food is available.

For example - Boil a pot of plain barley. Eat the barley and drink the barley water. Not too tasty but you will survive.

• JustThatGirl007
    JustThatGirl007

It's a crisp 64 tonight in the southwestern US. Something I greatly enjoy because I miss it. (I grew up in New England.) Fall is my favorite season and all of this talk about comfort foods, bone broths, and the like just has me smiling and inspired!!! I love it!

• Glander
    Glander

LOL a crisp 64, that's really sweater weather! electric blanket? I don't know where you are in the SW but there are times during the winter here in the NW that I would be happy to be in the SW!

Have a cup of soup anyway! Life is short.

• glenster
  • JustThatGirl007
    JustThatGirl007

Glander, I'm in south Texas. 64 up north is washing your car weather. LOL I've been here over a decade and I've gotten a bit used to it. I'm told it's supposed to be 40 tomorrow night!!

Choosing a different place as "home" just makes you appreciate things you don't think about a little more. :)

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I make soup all the time. It's my favourite way to use leftovers. Toss them in and boil - even salad, then blend. I always freeze all my meat drippings and veggie juices, boil the turkey bones, and keep containers of stock. Easy and delicious.

• Glander
    Glander

Thanks, Glenster. The beauty of using such basic ingredients in the primitive method of simmering is a magnification of flavors and full extraction of the food value.

Comfort food.

have a cozy winter eveyone.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Every genuine restaurant has seen this happen:

Head chef has been boiling bones for an entire day. Says to kitchen assistant: "strain that and bring it over"

After pouring bones into colander over the sink, assistant brings bone wreckage to head chef. Head chef passes out.

One favorite in the freezing winter is steamed syrup sponge pudding with real egg-yolk custard.

HB

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

What a lovely thread! I love soup too, as Glander says, you can turn anything into soup, and it is one of the most economical and best forms of nourishment.

LOL a crisp 64, that's really sweater weather!

LOL! 64...that's close to what we've had here for much of the summer, in south-west England! Today it's been closer to 50-52, and pouring wet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit