Jason BeDuhn regarding Revelation 7 and the Great Crowd

by Sauerkraut 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sauerkraut
    Sauerkraut

A while ago I sent an e-mail to Jason BeDuhn, that the Society is quite fond of. They like to quote him in publications. So when I started researching the Great Crowd and the accuracy of the earthly hope doctrine I thought I might write him and ask him what the exact meaning of "before the throne" (Revelation 7:9) and "temple" (7:15) is. Now his opinion certainly won't end all discussion, but it may be food for thought for Witnesses if they are confronted with the opinion of an expert that publications have quoted before, in a favorable and respectful manner.

Yesterday I received a reply and this is it:

"Dear Mr. Xxxxxx.

Thank you for your message, and please forgive my long delay in responding. I have only recently returned from a sabbatical.

Regarding Rev. 7:9, the word enwpion [w = omega] means face to face with someone, or immediately in front of something. While it is true that etymologically it is related to the idea of "in sight," it is not used with this specific meaning, but always in the sense of "right in front of"

In 7.15, the term is naos, which indeed means the inner chamber or sanctuary, the main "dwelling" of the deity, not the outer courtyard.

This appears to be another case (I'm familiar with a few more) where a forced distinction made in JW theology between a small group in heaven and a multitude on earth has biased the translation and interpretation of passages in Revelation.

I hope these answers help.

best wishes,

Jason BeDuhn Professor of Religious Studies Northern Arizona University"

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Quite interesting. Thanks for taking the initiative.

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

Thank you so much for sharing .This is an amazing find from a scholar the WT respects and quotes 17 times in recent years

• designs
    designs

Maybe the Society will come out with 'New Light' along the lines of many Protestants and the Catholics who think you go up and then you come down (to earth).

• designs
    designs

Who besides the Lutherans believe you go to heaven and stay there.

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

Saurkraut !!!

Could you please make this letter an attachment so we can all download and keep for our archives ?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Marking.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Thank you for posting the letter. I would like to see a scan if possible, and include it at Great Crowd of Other Sheep? if you don't mind, (with your details removed).

The interesting thing with DeBruhn is that he criticises the Watchtower's use of the word Jehovah in the New Testament. That prevents them making too big a deal of his agreement with a couple of other aspects of the NWT.

• Sauerkraut
    Sauerkraut

Thanks for the replies. I had already forgotten about my e-mail to Jason BeDuhn, so I was very suprised when I saw his response in my inbox.

@Raymond Frantz: I'll gladly make the e-mail an attachment, but don't know how. I'Ve made a screenshot and uploaded it here: http://pichost.de/images/2012/10/04/QD5E9.png Perhaps someone can explain what ways there are to attach the e-mail here. Thanks.

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

Could you please email me the scan to [email protected] and then I will put it on my website www.new-jw.org .Many thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit