Rutherford's smear campaign (a must read)

by Leolaia 198 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• sabastious
    sabastious

I have been at this desk for 22 years. I have had many accusations from the 'evil servant,' but never had I had a worse one than this, if as bad. The complaint about me having different places in which to reside is the very language of the evil servant class....The brethren everywhere know the facts, and they know that I do not own a foot of land under the sun; that these provisions have been made to further the kingdom....I have been criticized in this letter for having an air-conditioned room. Brother Van Amburgh will bear witness to this, that my office is the hottest room in the building, right under the roof and difficult therein to get good air....I think the criticism about that is a cold-blooded cruelty, no matter whom it comes from. If it enables me to work, why should somebody criticize except one who has the spirit of the evil servant. Every rebuke I have administered has been given, as I believe, in the interest of the Society. The Apostle Paul was the special spokesman for the Lord Jesus Christ. As the Watchtower has stated, Timothy and Titus pictured the Society and as the Lord through Paul instructed them so the Lord through the Society directs others. The Society speaks by its official Head. To Timothy Paul said: 'They that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.' (1 Tim. 5:20) ....

As I have often stated to some of the brethren, it hurts me far more to administer a rebuke than it does the one who receives it. If I see something in the organization going wrong, as I believe, then I would be unfaithful to the Lord if I did not rebuke such wrongdoer....I have made no discrimination with reference to marriage. When Bonnie Boyd got married that was her business. It was my business to determine whether or not she should remain in the home. I either had to let her husband remain here or else dispense with her services. She had been my secretary for fifteen years and the most efficient one that I have had in the office. She has taken dictation for everything I have written, speeches, magazine articles, Watchtower, books and booklets. It was for me to determine whether she should remain in the office.... If others in this house use filthy language, that is their responsibility. The statement that filthy jokes are told at the table and that the family laughs at these and these only, is a damnable outrage and any man who says that such is the case is a deliberate liar....

Liquor: This charge is vicious. I have always been open and aboveboard about such matters....You denounce me as the 'god of wine', which is the meaning of Bacchus, which is the word you use. You had to go to mythology and not to the Scriptures and find this name for me. Mythology proceeds from the Devil and other wicked spirits. Jesus made wine, the apostle advised that it be taken in moderation and you are welcome to compare their statements to that of the evil spirits, if you wish. If your statement is not of the evil servant then I am not able to understand it....Now I say this to you, Moyle, you have allied yourself with the Devil; you have willingly, without any just cause or excuse even, withdrawn yourself from the Lord's organization, and you are going back to the Devil's organization to engage in the practice of law. I have never known any man to withdraw from the Lord's organization and go into the Devil's organization that ended up right. When you say you want to continue to fight for the Lord, there is not a person in this presence that believes a word of that. Henceforth you shall never represent the Watchtower by my consent. This Resolution has been adopted. I shall follow it. You have served notice to leave September 1. You need not wait but move out of the house this day. If you wish to join the enemy and fight, do so. I have no use for a quitter. I am sure the Lord God has no use for a quitter. You are a quitter".

LOL! Whelp, that's that. Who can argue when the "bretheren" agree? That statement from Rutherford was laughable. They have been using the evil servant slur for a long, LONG time. Law? That's the devil's organization! LOL LOL LOL!

-Sab

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

So the rumor about the military schools was mentioned to Moyle as he was packing his belongings as he was leaving Bethel:

Olin R. Moyle:
    Q. Some mention was made by Mr. [Grant] Suiter about about a conversation on military schools. Did you have any conversation with him and what was it? A. While loading the truck with our goods, I was checking the articles off as they were put in on the sidewalk and Mr. Suiter came up and said, 'I would like to ask you a question. Did you advise the children up in Massachusetts to attend a military school?' I said, 'No, who says that I did?' And he did not tell me. That was all he said.

And Grant Suiter in his testimony says he got the suggestion from, guess who, Rutherford:

Grant Suiter:
    Q. When and where before this conversation on the sidewalk on August 8th did you hear anything about Mr. Moyle's attitude on sending children to military school? A. In Judge Rutherford's office just a few minutes before I went down to the sidewalk and spoke to Mr. Moyle....Q. And when did Mr. Rutherford say that he had heard something about it? A. He didn't tell me...He didn't tell me when he had heard, but he told me at that time the statement. Q. What time of the day was this when you had this conversation with Mr. Rutherford? A. It was late in the afternoon or in the early evening, as I recall....It was almost supper-time, as I recall.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Moyle then was welcomed by the Milwaukee Company of JWs and worked at starting his life over again.

Olin R. Moyle to H. L. Philbrick, 15 Aug. 1939
    : "The serious part of this affair is that it demonstrates a philosophy held by the president of the Society and his associates to the effect that no person is permitted to criticize even personal actions of said president. Such criticism, even though true, is held to violate the Lord's theocratic arrangement. I don't think the Lord has endowed any imperfect mortal with such a high and exalted situation and the doctrine may lead to serious and dangerous results....The Judge said as far as he was able to prevent it I would not be permitted to represent any of the brethren in court. I have hopes however that the Lord will give me some service of that kind....I am not sending any copies of my letter to friends in general for the reason that such action would be misconstrued as an attempt to create division in the organization. Nevertheless I shall use it to defend myself against misrepresentation. Stories are already starting to circulate and I have no doubt there will be many going the rounds...Just at present I am getting ready to open an office in this town. Peter is looking for a job as a linotype operator, and Sister Moyle is arranging for our living quarters. Some of the friends here have given us a friendly welcome and I think we'll get along".

Olin R. Moyle to Harry L. Parkhurst, 17 Aug. 1939
    : "When I talked with you at Nutley a little over a week ago I didn't realize that within twenty four hours I would be expelled from Bethel. I presume you have heard some of the gory details and that it may be that you have been informed that Moyle has gone with the opposition or the evil servant class. That story is being circulated and like some other things of this earth it is not the truth. Just before going on vacation I wrote a personal letter to Brother Rutherford protesting against some of the unfair actions at Bethel....All of the things stated were true, and the letter was not published to anyone else up to that time, yet nevertheless I was kicked out and given only half a day to collect my goods and be out. I'm not complaining about it. We intend to continue serving the Lord just as much as our means and energy will allow. I value the good opinion of you brethren in New Jersey and trust that you will secure all the facts before passing judgment against us. If you receive any reports concerning this letter and want to know what it actually stated, ask Sister Van Ness to see it. She has a copy".

Olin R. Moyle to Grover C. Powell, 18 August 1939
    : "I have a suspicion that some reports will be going forth to the effect that we have gone over with the opposition and that we libeled the Judge and the Society. You may receive some such reports in due time. Don't pass judgment too fast. We are loyal to the Lord and the Society and expect to continue in the service here in Milwaukee as fully as time, means and energy will permit. I'm not broadcasting the letter around the country, but if I am misrepresented I shall use it in order to present the facts".

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Moyle then wrote to Rutherford to assure him that he was not opposing the Society and was still a loyal JW.

Olin R. Moyle to J. F. Rutherford, 21 Aug. 1939: "The facts indicate that you and Woodworth have the idea that I have left the Society and intend to embark upon a campaign against it. This is most emphatically not the case. I am loyally supporting the Society in this area and expect to continue to do so regardless of the attitude of the Society toward us. Neither am I waging any personal warfare against you. I have never questioned or denied that the Lord is using you as his earthly director of Kingdom work. But your position does not give you immunity from protest against wrongful action. I protested to you personally and privately because of your abuse and discrimination against your fellow servants at Bethel. It was not a personal grievance, but was made solely in the interests of the family and the organization against your personal acts".

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Moyle assured his friends of the same.

#17Olin R. Moyle to Mr. H. L. Philbrick, 28 August 1939: "I haven't tried to have the Society's president removed from office. All I did was call to his personal attention some actions of his which were oppressive and unfair to his fellow servants. If those holding positions of responsibility in the Lord's organization were perfect men, and had a perfect line of communication with the Lord, there would of course be no necessity of such action. But they are not, and I think there is a responsibility on the part of the individual to protest to the President of the Society when he commits grievous wrongs, just as there is a responsibility on his part to call to the attention of those under him their misdeeds. Furthermore I believe my letter is bearing good fruit in spite of everything. The Judge has now given the Bethel brethren all day Saturdays off during the hot weather. Furthermore I would be willing to bet ten cents against a doughnut that there will be little or none table lambastings for the rest of this season at Bethel. For that I am glad. You will be interested to learn that Woodworth has now entered the arena and sent me a letter in which he 'publicly denounces' me and makes an exceedingly vicious, false underhanded attack on me by slurring and misrepresenting and falsifying matters concerning Sister Moyle.... I understand that it is to be published in CONSOLATION in the near future. It looks like an attempt to push us over into the opposition, but by the Lord's grace it will not succeed. We are busy and happy cooperating with the local company in the witness work and shall do our level best to keep our heart with diligence and keep sweet no matter what comes".

#18Harry L. Parkhurst to Olin R. Moyle, 31 Aug. 1939: "I am happy to know that you all intend to continue serving the Lord as much as your means and energy will allow. I have had a number of severe jolts during my Christian experiences. I thank the good Lord for every one of them. The Apostle Paul reminds us that these experiences will be a little grievous at the time we receive them but if we react properly, then they will yield the possible fruits of righteousness. We know the Lord has a visible organization on the earth. This organization is composed of imperfect creatures. However, it pleases the Lord to sue such to carry out His purposes on the earth. I, therefore, as a Christian, intend, by God's grace, to keep the issue clear in mind rather than the imperfections of my brethren".

• zeb
    zeb

This man was an ignoranus who knew nothing and he was an arsehole. i can add tyrant.

• mind blown
    mind blown

Wow! Another awesome thread! Thank you!

Bookmarked.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Then a few days later, the 1 September 1939 Watchtower appeared with a notice accusing Moyle of being "unfaithful to the Kingdom interests, and to those who serve the Kingdom":

Notice that the same page contains the masthead which states the Watchtower magazine "does not indulge in controversy, and its columns are not open to personalities".

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Marking

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Moyle wrote to his friends to assure them that the statement in the Watchtower misrepresented the facts:

#19:Olin R. Moyle to Brother Milton Confehr, 2 Sept. 1939: "I suppose you have seen the notice in the Sept. 1st Tower. CONSOLATION will follow next with its onslaught, and then I suppose the Year Book report will give a final send off. Then maybe they will leave us alone. At first I was inclined to defend myself by sending copies of my letter to everyone that I could, but have now decided to write to just a few friends and deny the allegations of unfaithfulness and let it go at that. The Lord knows the facts so we do not need to be worried what others think of us. I surely do have a great itching to tell CJW what I think of him for his contemptible attack on Phoebe but I shall even let him plod his own lousy way without rebuke. The brethren here have been just grand to us. We've had offers of financial assistance and so far the Tower notice doesn't seem to have alienated them from us. I think the Society will have one heck of a job to bar us from service work in connection with this company. There is a freedom here which is not found in eastern companies. Their studies are a pleasure to attend. The Milwaukee Company has about 200 publishers, but the Sunday evening meeting is attended by about 400 with new ones coming continually. It's a real pleasure to sit in on such studies and also a joy to work with them in the field. I am still marking time as far as the practice of law is concerned. Our offices will not be ready until the latter part of the month....Phoebe is busy feeding us and to her great joy and happiness is shedding a few pounds....Well it looks as though the bullets and bombs will be flying all over Europe before long. Our furniture is still on the way from Brooklyn. We are hoping it will get here before Armageddon starts anyway. We heard that Bethel now has all day Saturdays off. Don't you think my epistle did some good after all".

#20:Olin R. Moyle to Charles J. Eickhoff, 5 Sept. 1939: " 'It ain't so.' The notice in the September 1st Watch Tower declaring that yours truly had been unfaithful etc isn't in conformity to the facts, so I have to write to some of my friends and tell them the Society isn't telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth concerning the matter....The facts are that ever since we have been at Bethel many things which occurred have grated on the nerves. The Judge's habit of lambasting the family at the dinner table was one of them. When it comes to calling a person down and up and around that party has them all beat. Many of the brethren have taken some terrific castigations for little or no cause except JFR's ill temper. Then there was the matter of discrimination in favor of himself and against his brethren, the exaltation of liquor, and approbation of smutty talk. So Phoebe and I finally decided we had enough. I sent the Judge a five page letter of resignation containing reasons therefore which protested against some of the above acts. I sent it over to him just before vacation so he would have time to read and cool off during the vacation weeks. Promptly after vacation he called the Board of Directors together, had the letter read to them and that august body by unanimous vote decreed that I should be invited to leave. So that noon the Moyle family was given half a day to pack up and get out....We got our stuff packed in one afternoon - Phoebe did wonders at the job - and got a van to haul it to Wisconsin, but the van has not yet arrived. It was only a partial load so has to wait until they get a full load. We got back here on the 14th of August and were given a royal welcome by the Milwaukee company. They have been kind as could be....I have a desk in Harvey Fink's office and we expect soon to move to large and commodious quarters where I will put the attorney's sign on the door and hope for business. So there is the story. The Judge is of the opinion that I am going out to raise cain against the Society and therefore apparently has deemed it wise to get the drop on my by smashing my reputation amongst the brethren first. I have given him plenty of proof that I am not embarking on such a campaign, but when that boy gets an idea in his bonnet its practically impossible to pry it loose".

Comment:

Moyle was really torn on what to do with the letter. On the one hand, he wanted to defend his good name and let everyone see what it was that he in fact wrote. But he also felt that might inflame things further, so he decided to hold back and have only several people read it. In his testimony in the civil trial, he said that "there were many requests to see that letter after the September 1st Tower came out. I quite generally turned down the requests. I did show the letter to a few personal friends". First zone servant Harvey Fink asked to read the letter in August. Fink stated in his trial testimony: "The first I saw of the letter was when Mr. Moyle returned. I did not know of any other person outside of my wife who had read the letter, and she read it at the same time I did. Mr. Moyle did not read that letter to my knowledge to anyone else". Then after the September 1st Watchtower was released, Moyle's sister Laura Rouse wanted to read it, and so she read it with her husband, and Moyle gave her a copy.

Moyle held out hope that eventually the Society would let the matter go, and he could continue quietly with his life. He described the warm reception he has received from the Milwaukee Company, and he felt the local JWs would not be swayed much by what the Society says. He enjoyed taking part in the local Witness work, and the JWs from the Milwaukee were helping him getting established with his new life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit