Rutherford's smear campaign (a must read)

by Leolaia 198 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

This unfolding drama is fascinating and entertaining. The wonder is how we are encouraged to look backward with rose coloured glasses. It makes you laugh to read how the society quote the frankness of the bible as being evidence of its authenticity whilst brushing all this under the carpet.

They mock the way others rewrite history to eliminate the negative. The WT is an expert at putting the facts into the washing machine with plenty of detergent, rinsing and spinning until every thing smells like new mown grass.

Thank you for letting the real stink of ordure into the atmosphere. It may not smell good but it is honest and has the ring of truth.

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Thank you Leolaia for posting this information. Rutherford was certainly a real piece of work. It proves to me that no one, no matter how sincere will ever change what the WTBTS really is. Seventy + years later and it is still being run by tyrants in a dictatorial manner and cannot be changed. Trying to change it from within will never happen and any who are sincere in their motives will only be demonized by the leadership. It is not surprising that the leaders would like to bury the truth but thankfully to the internet and hard work by ones such as yourself, what has been hidden is being brought out in the open. Thx again,Leslie

• Scott77
    Scott77

Informative and history thread. Thanks Leolaia.

Scott77

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Leo, great work on this...

FWIW, I've had a sneaking suspicion that the WTBTS altered their translation in NWT to read "Faithful and DISCREET slave" (vs ALL the others, which use "faith and wise") as a result of the fall-out between Rutherford and Moyle, as if to insinuate that Moyle had betrayed his attorney/client confidentiality duty by being "indiscreet" about the Society's "private" matters (of course, Rutherford and Moyle were both lawyers; oh, the hubris of Rutherford to think that drinking at Bethel actually WAS the "master's business", LOL! In fact, Jesus' parable WARNED about the evil slave drinking with other servants, LOL!).

In the documents you presented, I found it very interesting to see Rutherford refer to Moyle's using "the very language of the evil servant class", which suggests that Moyle WAS considered as on par with the FDS, except instead being the evil servant! Rutherford seems to have decided to deflect the blame by making Moyle out as the bad guy, and not a whistleblower?

I'm just mentioning it, as that seems to be some compelling circumstantial evidence to suggest the fall-out between these two may have been a factor in the odd choice (eyebrow-raising?) of words for the NWT? Keep it in the back of your mind as you search, looking for anything that supports the hypothesis of a "personality-driven" (namely, Rutherford's) translation having been used. What a story THAT would make, if it had stronger evidence to support it....

• jgnat
    jgnat

I vote for Jack Nicholson to play Rutherford. No-one can berate more beautifully "You can't handle the truth!"

Nicholson

• glenster
    glenster

Good research. The only drawback to doing an expose of what a dork Rutherford
    was in private is that he was already known for being a dork in public: kidnap-
    ping Jesus, America's favorite religious character, to attempt to bond w/Hitler
    over antisemitism and branding the Pope and all other Christian leaders Hitler's
    allies, sanctimoniously predicting "America has to fall" during WWII, etc. with
    sound trucks, radio, and people sent to play recordings and say so door to door.

Rutherford was part arrogant drunk but I wouldn't get too caught up beyond that
    in wondering if he believed his own PR egotistically. A scam artist knows his
    own scam is a scam.

All the leaders from the 1880's cooked up reasons for customers to think they
    were the chosen spokespeople for a literal 144,000, which never came naturally
    from a humble sincerity. The first hoarded money and ripped off his wife while
    instituting the shunning policy against her, the second started getting followers
    beat up and killed, and later came harsh shunning for damage control and having
    followers and their kids die at hospitals. Even Raymond (quite rightfully), like
    Albert Speer or Henry Hill, admitted he was ashamed of what he had to be to take
    part in it (once forced to defect and selling books about it).

• VM44
    VM44

Judge Rutherford had a cult following!

Some people just simply adored him!

• sir82
    sir82

This week's WT study encourages "Kingdom citizens" to learn the history of the organization.

Somehow I don't think this is what they had in mind....

• silentlamb_silent_no_more
    silentlamb_silent_no_more

Really interesting thread, one I enjoyed reading. I never helped out in bethel at all. I visited the London office once. I watched the video with the big mountian on front of it with awe. Wow how much work they actually do and bla bla. Not once being so young and niave at the time did I ever think that these sorts of dealings were going on. And Jehovah's Witnesses are meant to be Christan and have Christian like qualities ? J.F.R. does not sound like he ever was a true Christian to me and if that's what's been passed down to the rest of the congregations for all these years then I am trully glad I left 13 years ago.

Blessed Be !!

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Jaime l de Aragon Leolia has asked posters to refrain from posting information as she is presenting a chronological account on this thread, it might be a good idea to remove the information you posted, she asks that we discuss only what has already posted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit