Is it appropriate to describe eating Lobster Bisque as eating?

by Theocratic Sedition 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

The cafeteria had Lobster Bisque and Wedding Soup today, and I figured I'd try something new considering I love seafood. It was tasty, don't get me wrong, but there was nothing in it. What's the point of eating something if it's similar to drinking tea? It might as well have been called Lobster Tea. I get the feeling someone took a deshelled lobster, rung it out like a dish-rag into a pot, added some peanut butter/beige food coloring, and then labeled it with a fancy name that isn't pronounced the same way as it looks. This is what passes for food nowadays? On top of that, nobody told me that I needed crackers to "eat" along with this stuff. So when I got back to my floor and got comfy, I had to scrounge around for crackers from my coworkers. Very disappointing lunch I have to say.

Anybody else eat or should I say drink Lobster Bisque?

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

It's supposed to be a cream based soup, thick like a properly made New England Clam Chowder (withoutthe clams and vegs of course)

Since it was "cafeteria style" Lobster Bisque" what did you really expect, you know they threw and extra gallon or two of water in it to feed all the folks.

Btw, your description of it reminds me of a joke from the Red Skelton Show my mother always told when eating a watery chicken soup, (all you young folks here call your grandparents to find out who that was)

"This soup taste like the chicken ran through the pot with stilts on!"

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I've had some really good lobster bisque, some with lobster in it. Adding a bit of fennel makes it good, as well.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

I only know who Red Skelton was because they always showed commercials for a collection of his works during Brady Bunch commercial breaks. My father loved him.

thick like a properly made New England Clam Chowder

So it's actually supposed to be thick? Do people add potatos or meat or anything to it? what I had during lunch today was tasty, but it lacked substance. Do people add flour to it?

I've had some really good lobster bisque, some with lobster in it.

plenty of lobster, or just minimal? Eating it today, errr I mean drinking it today had me thinking that the stuff had potential had their been some meat in it.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Miz..

I learned to make Bisque in Culinary Arts School..

Traditionally it`s a thinner soup although Chefs will have their own variations of it..

I get the feeling someone took a deshelled lobster, rung it out like a dish-rag into a pot,

LOL!!..Sounds like you got a really bad cook on a really bad day..

Some people were not meant to cook..

They don`t belong in a Professional Kithchen..

.....................................OUTLAW

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

See Outlaw, that one in the middle, THAT looks good! I'd massacre that!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Miz..

You need to go to a nice restaurant and order it..

You won`t get the same quality of cooking in a cafeteria..

I would never serve what you ate..

I wouldn`t even bother cooking it..LOL!!..

..................... ... OUTLAW

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

As Outlaw mentioned, the Bisque is generally thin (think of tomato soup) but chefs often give it more body by adding in some flour or corn starch while cooking if only milk is used.

We occasionally make Lobster Bisque when we get local lobsters.

It also works well, IMO, to add some fresh minced shrimp to make it Seafood Bisque (or call it Lobster and Shrimp Bisque I guess).

In any case, it should not be like water but rather a nice smooth, creamy texture.

Rub a Dub

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

Yeah, I've had bisque like that. Tastes like the chef waved a lobster at a pot of water from the opposite side of the kitchen.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Also, finish with some Sherry!

Miz, don't order stuff like that from a cafeteria!! Stick with what they're good at.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit