Lets Insult Christmas Public WT Now Up on jw.org

by LostGeneration 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Page 5

“Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” (2 Corinthians 9:7) The essence of Paul’s counsel is that “nothing is ever to be given ‘from compulsion,’ from a feeling that one is forced to give,” explains one Bible commentary. Being “a cheerful giver” rules out the feeling of being obligated to give a specific item to a specific person at a specific time—the way Christmas gift-giving often turns out to be.

The Interpretation of II Corinthians By R. C. H. Lensk

The quote is from page 1171 and can be read here .

Lensk is not talking about giving prezzies to your family.

For this to be quoted befitting it's context, it should be quoted during the begging talk when they are asking you to swipe your credit card and donate to the bOrg.

• undercover
    undercover

The article, "They Found Something Better" is just plain sad. Sad in that it's obvious that the quotes (if they're even real) used are really reaching in trying to convince us that they actually enjoy not enjoying the holidays.

One of the quotes really bugged me though:

"When our family gets together, our children get to know their uncles, aunts, grandparents, and cousins in a relaxed atmosphere. Since we are not bound by fixed holidays, we do not feel pressured, and our family knows that we visit them because we love them."

Okay, class, can anyone tell me the problem with this extended family scenerio?

For me anyway, I didn't have cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents in the 'troof'. So when the holidays came around, we were isolated from the rest of the family. They were all getting together, getting to know their uncles, aunts, grandparents and cousins, while we were trudging around in the cold door to door, peddling magazines.

And what if your extended family has inactive or DFd relative? Oh, yea right. I'm sure you really get to know them especially when they're not included because they're not good little JW zealots and can't be included in your family gatherings so as to not poison the atmosphere.

• dozy
    dozy

An incredibly depressing , one sided negative view of Christmas.

I found the following quote somewhat ironic:

"All of this leaves them with little time, energy, or money to attend to the poor and needy, other than perhaps making a donation."

Exactly how much time are JWs encouraged to spend in (non JW ) charitable activities? A sister in my old congregation got a part time job in a charity shop & was hounded by the elders to give it up as a waste of time.

But I really had to laugh at the picture on page 31 of the couple who had "left Jehovah". Sitting in front of a violent film , with alcohol and a cigar & the man had grown ( shock! ) a beard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit