Showed Spouse A Quote In the Bound Volume

by turtleturtle 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Great quote TurtleTurtle. I hope it helps the two of you to fade out and escape together.

I went to far too fast with my wife sharing TTATT before knowing the proper way to go about it, and we see where it got me...

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

please One thing that infuriated me when I was still in was all the backpedaling and rewriting of the 1975 debacle. I was 16 years old in 1975 and I remember well all the hype and excitement about '75. I told my (now ex) husband that they could revise it all they wanted, but I was there and I have a long memory. It was in the study articles, the freakin' Truth book, the yearbooks, and in every talk by a CO or at an assembly. We were saturated in 1975 hype.

To turn around and blame it on the R&F, saying that some misunderstood the information and had unrealistic expectations is cowardly and dishonest. he did it

Everyone had the same expectation. Everyone. You'd say, "We don't need to buy a new sofa. This one will last until '75," and stuff like that.

A pox on their firstborn!

http://scottleblog.wordpress.com

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

Thanks for the quote.. needed it, I've been saying that to my sister, she keeps saying, They don't want you to go to college. cuz of partying and sex..

T8R

• baltar447
    baltar447

Partying and sex? Everything in moderation...

• steve2
    steve2
    Awake!1969 May 22 p.15
    "If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. ... Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in highschool and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone!"

I was 16 when my parents painstakingly went through this article with me. I was a good kid and they were so proud of me. I had wanted to be a journalist. However, the most compelling reason to instead go pioneering was the genuinely-held conviction among the growing number of active JWs at that time that "6,000 years of human existence would end in the mid-1970s". My parents easily talked me out of "higher education" and into pioneering.

It took me a few years to wake up, dissociate myself and enrol at university. I now have my Ph.D in Clinical Psychology and have the prospect of retiring in a few years time (but I think I'll keep working). My parents were lovely people doing what they thought was right for their children; they're both now deceased.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit