Showed Spouse A Quote In the Bound Volume

by turtleturtle 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

As part of family worship last night, I pulled out the bound volumes I have been harvesting from different sources lately and showed my spouse the following quote:

Awake!1969 May 22 p.15
    "If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. ... Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in highschool and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone!"

The bound volumes have a bigger impact than the CDROM. To have that quote right in front of him/her in that 1969 volume was classic awesomeness. He/she has known that I have been into "apostate" material for about a year now. He/she is an awesome spouse because of not freaking out about it! Seriously, I could start fading tommorow and, while he/she wouldn't be happy, he/she also wouldn't plan WW3 over it. I asked her/him what he/she thought the quote meant. He/she stated that it means the FDS are simply imperfect men trying their best and at that time in history, that was their best.

BTW: Im doing the whole him/her for anonymous reasons.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Turtleturtle, that article is a classic!

Many Witnesses feel that the Society would never lie or mislead, but that quote shows just the opposite.

Some will try to explain it away as being simply a misunderstanding, but what False Prophet does not have a misunderstanding? They all do!

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Tell HER that Deut 18:20-22 and 1 John 4:1 do not come with a footnotes that exclude nice people who are "trying their best"... Also, Acts 1:7 applies to anyone who speculates regardless of how evil or "genuine" they may be...

It's funny how the WT excludes themselves from Bible scriptures when it's convenient to do so...

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I graduated HS in 1969. I am now 60....and I have 5 grandchildren.

Coffee

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

edit: removed for privacy

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

@ christ alone:

How do I edit it? Its not that big of a deal.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

On the very right of the title bar for your post there is a speech bubble with a pencil inside it. Click that to edit. You can only edit within 30 mins of the original post though.

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

thanks

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

I started at university in October 1974. A close family member gave me a 1975 diary and told me that I wouldn't need it all but at least I would be able to use the first part of it.

I'm now retired.

• irondork
    irondork

A nice compliment to the quote you showed your wife would be the one from the May 1, 1997 Watchtower, page 8:

Jehovah God is the Grand Identifier of his true messengers. He identifies them by making the messages he delivers through them come true.Jehovah is also the Great Exposer of false messengers. How does he expose them? He frustrates their signs and predictions. In this way he shows that they are self-appointed prognosticators, whose messages really spring from their own false reasoning - yes, their foolish, fleshly thinking!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit