Eric Reeder's Memorial?

by NeverKnew 28 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

In the meantime, we can choose not to let them send dear Eric silently off into the night as if he never mattered, dear Never Knew (peace to you), and so I did so choose... because he mattered to ME:

http://memorialwebsites.legacy.com/OompaAKAEricReed/homepage.aspx

Peace to you all!

Servant to dear Eric and a slave of Christ,

SA, who chose not to continue the status quo of "I'm scared of the Watchtower" silence but to expose what was is really behind tragedies like this... whether they hear... or refrain...

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Whew... thank you Cuckoo! I sometimes worry about the eye-rolling that may happen when I post given my... uh... worldly opinion. *giggling*

My intent is sincere. :)

Also, would having an event in North Carolina be a heartbreaker for those in NC who still have to "pretend" that they still believe? Will those in attendance be... what's the term.... "marked"? I suspect the only people who could attend would be those who are completely out, huh... I'd hate for people who loved Eric NOT to be able to attend if it would produce some level of anxiety. Should it be in neutral territory? Gosh... where's neutral, huh...

The component that brings the most pain to me is the fact that Eric had to keep those who loved him unconditionally a secret. His virtual relationships did not replace his familial ones. Please realize that I am NOT saying that a stranger will EVER fill the desire to be connected with your biological family, but it'd be nice to have an adopted family in which to find strength. People who are real to you.... not voices on a phone or writings on a thread.

There are elements that I KNOW are outside the boundaries of my understanding, but I have to wonder if, over time, those that are stuck in will eventually say... "I'm outta here! I now have somewhere to go where people will unconditionally accept me!" Right now, are we only going halfway?

I know that this idea is certainly not revolutionary and I realize it's been done before. I'm just hoping it's possible for all of the Eric's out here. If it saves someone, it'd be worth it.

• Etude
    Etude

I don't know what a year from now may bring me. However, I committ myself to attend for the reason that, besides honoring Eric, it would be a powerfully way to show we care more than they do and because we can bring awareness about the situation that prompted them gathering.

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

And thank you, NeverKnew, positivity like yours is just what people need right now. I'm like you in some ways, another "worldly". Or rather, a failed study. I did the the unthinkable in JW land, and learned too much. Stuff they really wish you didn't know, and certainly shouldn't ask questions about.

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

Where in North Carolina? I have people there..and I would come just to be a part of the gathering for Oompa.

• mercedes_29
    mercedes_29

I would definitely fly down to NC.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

near GSO airport. I didn't know eric personally, although I knew of him.

• jeandeau
    jeandeau

I am happy to pay for an ïn memorium" advertiseement in Erics local newspaper, recognizing his contribution to the hapiness of others lives. do we have a volunteer for a coordinator . I would like to honor eric soon.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Jeandeau, on the "Sad News About Oompa" thread, a long-time poster by the handle of "Shamus100" has kindly volunteered to pay for the "In Memoriam" advertisement.

However, on this thread:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/239227/2/What-Can-We-Do-to-Show-How-We-Cared-about-Oompa

A poster named Palmtree has posted Eric's business address, by which we can send sympathy cards to his two sons [in their twenties] who are no longer Jehovah's Witnesses.

Of course, sympathy and discretion is advised.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I opend this thread and just burst into tears....here is kindness!!! People willing to get together to celebrate the life of someone we all knew be it personally or via email/posts/facebook.

Wherever you gather I will be there in spirit - I'm just too far away!

I will however send a card - thank you for the info Ziddina.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit