How do we get to 1914 and then 1919?

by God_Delusion 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

Okay, this might sound like a really stupid question, but after researching this matter for the last hour, I still have no idea why the Watchtower Society points to 1914 and 1919 using the 70 weeks theory.

Don't get me wrong, I know all about 607 B.C.E., but I am having trouble understanding why the prophecy of the 70 weeks has been added. Whose idea was it to add the 70 week business into the mix?

I've researched the following websites and JWN threads so far, yet I'm still hitting blanks:

Just so that we're clear, I don't need to know why 607 B.C.E. is the wrong date. I've got that down to a tee. All I need to know is where the Organisation got the 70 week prophecy from and what made them think that it would be okay to use that to prove 607 B.C.E.

Of course, like most things the Society does, there might not be a real reason, after all, 1914 was originally calculated from measuring the pyramids. What a novel idea...

Can't wait to hear your answers. I am building a glossary on JWB - http://www.jehovahswitnessblog.com/jehovahs-witness-glossary/ and it's my aim to make this as simple as possible for anyone trying to understand 607, 1914, and 1919.

Warm regards,
    Jaymes

PS. The best and simplest replies will get a small packet of raisins sent in the post...

• mP
    mP

THe simplest and correct answer is, its all bullshit.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

You get the JW to make the statement, then ask them to show you how it works. That way, all you need to know is when to nod and how to stay awake and looking like you are impressed and interested. It doesn't even matter if they give you a BS answer.

Once they have showed you how they do it (another JW might use a different method), you can hit them up to support 607. That is when you need to know how to manipulate the conversation them to keep them from escaping.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Actually, the Society uses the 70 weeks prophecy in Daniel 9 to go from Artaxerxes 20th year (445 bc - but 455 bc to the Society) to 36 ad which is 7 years after Jesus' baptism in 29 ad.

The Society uses the 7 times in Daniel chap. 4 to go from 607 bc to 1914 ad. The Society claims the 7 times of Dan. 4 is the "gentile times" of Luke 21:24. And that the tree that is chopped down in Dan 4 actually pictures God's rule thru appointed kings (in the line of the promised seed) which started with David, was chopped down and "banded" at Zedekiah in 607, and was "unbanded" in 1914 when Jesus was crowned in heaven.

7 times= 7 years of 12 30 day months. 7 x 12 x 30 = 2520

going by the "rule" a day for a year, 2520 days = 2520 years

Some of the key problems:

607 (as you mentioned) for the sacking of Jerusalem.

Linking "the gentile times" of Luke 21:24 with the 7 times of Dan chapter 4. The Bible makes none.

The tree pictured Nebuchadnezzar, an opponent of God's people, so how does it also picture Davidic rule?

Going from 1914 to 1919 involves (from the Society's viewpoint):

Starting with 1914 (of course)

The 2 witnesses in Rev 11 preach for 3.5 years. (1260 days = 42 months of 30 days each)

This takes from Oct 1914 to Mar(?) 1918

(They may have revised this to Dec 1914 to June 1918 so as to get to the sentencing of the WT crew to prison)

They are killed and their bodies lay on street of great city for 3 days

This takes them from June 1918 to release in spring 1919

(thus the 1260 days is literal but the 3 days= 10(?) months)

Finally from spring 1919 to fall 1922 is equated with 3.5 times of Rev 12:13, 14 (protection from dragon)

Hope this helps

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

Jehovah's Witnesses say that Jesus had his second coming already 'invisibly' in the year 1914 and then Jesus waited 3 1/2 years to appoint them the Watchtower society rulers of his earthly kingdom in 1919.

This is their hard history and they cannot change it anymore than the Mormons can change Joseph Smith golden plates Jesus came to America for them.

That's it folks!

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

Every time that 1914 comes up - the Jehovah's Witnesses need to be reminded that they DID NOT PROPHETICALLY PREDICT WW1.
    They predicted that Jesus would visibly return to earth in 1914.When that did not happen, they changed their story to say that he invisibly started ruling in heaven.
    Then, they further said that adult people living in 1914 would see the literal end of the world at Armageddon.
    When that did not happen, they changed their story to say the generations overlap.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Going from 1914 to 1919 involves (from the Society's viewpoint):

Also includes parallels with Jesus's first advent,

29 CE/Oct. 1914 - appeared as Messiah/'appeared' as King

3½ years later ...

33 CE/Spring 1918 - inspected Temple/inspection of God's household.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Soooo. . . 3.5 years later is spring 1918. . . How hoes that add up to 1919 again?

Confused as ever by these "deeper things"

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

where the heck is OBVES when you need him... LOL

• Weana
    Weana

God_Delusion, you ask: "Whose idea was it to add the 70 week business into the mix?"

I think, this was your idea. JWs do not need the 70 week business at all to get to 1914 and then 1919.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit