Are JW's REALLY the cause of people committing suicide?

by scotoma 39 Replies latest watchtower medical

• scotoma
    scotoma

Blame the cult. Blame the cult. Blame the cult.

Suicide is a very complicated behavior.

Mental health professionals caution against assigning blame when people kill themselves.

Being disfellowshipped is a life stress and some people are not equipped mentally to handle it. But the large majority of disfellowshipped people are somewhat greatful for the forced exit. They feel liberated.

If a person is fired from their job are you going to blame the company for the former employees suicide?

We all liked Eric and there is this first reaction to become angry. It's part of the mourning process.

Sometimes suicide is an effective way to make a statement. Sometimes pouring gasoline on oneself is a rallying cry.

I'm sure oompa sent a strong message to his former congregation and family.

There are cults that advocate suicide. Jonestown comes to mind. Heavens Gate.

The most serious type of suicide that can directly be put at the feet of the JW's is asking people to commit suicide rather than take a blood transfusion. False martyrdom. That's something they can't wriggle out of.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well the bOrg sure didn't help the situation.

• elderelite
    elderelite

"For everything there is an appointed time, even for every affair of man under the heavens"

It feels a bit soon to have a rashional disscussion on this topic, although its a very valid topic. Just sayin, people are in pain and need to vent and grieve for a while.

• avishai
    avishai

scotoma, this isn't the first time this has happened here. I can think of at least two other board members who have taken their lives under similar circumstances. Did it "cause" it? Maybe it's not the only contributing factor, but the way the WTS sets you up against going for mental health, yanks the rug out from under you socially and takes all of your family and friends sure as hell doesn't help. Not to mention the psychological damage they cause while you are in. Does an abusive spouse who beats their partner and isolates them for twenty years "cause" a suicide? Does a prison who puts someone in solitary for 20 years "cause" a suicide? I think you see where I'm going with this.....

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Totally agree with you there EE. Now's not really the time for this sort of discussion. Please wait a few and let folks here work out their grief.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Disfellowshipping has differing effects on everyone.

For some it is devestating enough that suicide is their only perceived option to end the pain.

Yes I blame the cult.

And its an all too familiar story.

• Glander
    Glander

In some situations, absolutely.

• cofty
    cofty

Yes I think they are, but as EE said now's not the time.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Just like no happy marriage has ever ended in divorce, no happy life has ended in suicide. Oompa made clear what was making him unhappy.

JW's and the WT use terrible analogies that in themselves make sense, but bare no relevance to the issue/case/discussion/question at hand. It is a cheap conjuring trick.

This thread should be deleted.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The title is misleading and the topic is inappropriette considering the timing.

If someone dares to attempt to establish some pathetic basis for dismissing the WT organization, of any and all blame on this, they are going to get an earful.

Take that topic and park it for now

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit