Powerful questions to DEBUNK the Jonah and the big fish story

by Black Man 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Black Man
    Black Man

Just wanting to link logical, common sense questions that dismantle the Jonah/big fish story.

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

Quite frankly if, "Hey, stop and think about it," doesn't do the trick, I'm not sure that anything will.

But try this (it's the second big miracle in the story, in my reckoning) - look at the opening of chapter 3. When Joan gets to Nineveh he sets out to walk through the place proclaiming his message. This is a big place - really big, it takes three days just to walk across it. And all the people repent. Just like that. So if anyone thinks that could happen, imagine this: A big city that takes three days to walk across. All the electricity is down. There are no newspapers, no computers, no radio, no TV. And the challenge is to go there and give a particular message to everybody. Who reckons they can do it?

Rob Crompton

• Glander
    Glander

Quite frankly if, "Hey, stop and think about it," doesn't do the trick, I'm not sure that anything will.

Rob C took the words out of my mouth...

Come to think of it, this applies to most every Bible legend I can think of.

OK, here's one thing. The digestive juices, fluids and lack of oxygen would kill a living thing in minutes if not seconds. Jonah was in there how long?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I wonder what the "big fish" would taste like with some wasabi and ponzu sauce. . .

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Boba fett survived sarlacc, so whats to say......

Lol

• Diest
    Diest

I am excited to finally agree with cheech...

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Was Dangar around jonas' times?

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

Good god! Has nobody on here ever watched Pinocchio!?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Actually, I can imagine the "big fish" smoked, and thinly sliced, over a thick smear of cream cheese on a bagel.

I just figured out breakfast for tomorrow.

And you thought all I ever ate was Wheaties. . . .

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Just read my post about it:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/169191/1/Jonahs-under-water-stomach-vacation-a-biblical-fact#3133211

The Jonah story is a satire, and a rather good one.

To the fundamentalists: Why can't there be fiction in the Bible? That is essentially what narrative parables are. Think of the book of Jonah as an extended parable. It's a satirical story that engages in social critique.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit