Powerful questions to DEBUNK the Jonah and the big fish story

by Black Man 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• fugue
    fugue

Leolaia, I just read your critique of Jonah. You make some very valid points. I'm surprised that I never caught any of the subtle but ridiculous details, such as the cows being dressed in sackcloth and ordered to fast. How the hell do you dress a cow in sackcloth? How do you command a cow to fast? It's so obvious that the entire story is satirical. As a jw, I never looked at any of those details in the story, since the wt treated them as extraneous. I was such a sheep, just baa'ing along with the rest of them, blindly believing everything they said, including the supposition that Jonah was historical.

Thanks for taking the time to post that.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

i am no marine biologist but i know about naturally occuring acid in a digestive tract, it can be very corrosive. not sure about sea creatures tho. also could a human survive the pressure of rapidly submerging environment like a fish? would it crush him or give him a terminal case of the bends?

• mP
    mP

You might want to check the etymology of Jonah. It means dove, which as we all know is often a creature representing gods spirit. The fact that a dove went west reminds of us of the Sun going away to die. The three days under the sea is another ancient mythological device that can be found in many religions. Samson is another example of solar personification. That story is filled with nonsense that cannot be true. Samon=Sun btw. Does anyone really eblieve that Samson lit 300 foxes to burn the field of some enemy ? of course not but its written in the Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit