Who remembers Cake Nights?

by 2SYN 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

I remember this back in the early 80s when the book study was at my parent's house. I remember this well, because there was there these two sisters who would piss everybody off by taking the leftovers home with them.

Thanks for bringing back these memories!

"I have so much love to give, but no one to give it to."

William H. Macy - "Magnolia"

• TR
    TR

Ah yes, cake night!

An excuse for JWs to say; "See! We're normal! We have FUN at book studies!"

TR

I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.
    --Robert Frost, 1935

• taoInitiate
    taoInitiate

I remember them. But like Beck from Melbourne they were called "cup o' tea" or "tea and bicky" (that means biscuit BTW) nights. Must be a Melbourne thing.

Anyway, isn't it interesting how the brothers (at least those in power; COs and DOs) are so against this type of thing. Except of course where their own lunches are concerned.

Perhaps it has something to do with not being "Rice Christians". Wouldn't want to be hypocritical now would we. Funny how we're limited to being hypocritical on stuff like UN affiliations, and not the fun stuff like cake nights...hehe.

taoInit

• AvailableLight
    AvailableLight

In every hall I've been in "Goodie Night" as it's always been called was left up to the host of the BS. Generally this would occur once a month in those groups that elected to have it and everyone would bring something.

In one group I attended, the hosts really didn't like having a "Goodie Night" at all (they probably just wanted everyone to leave - which I can understand). One dangerously obese sister in the group would always whisper in kid's ear just before the closing prayer and have the kid raise his hand to put the conductor on the spot and ask when we'd be having another GN. Embarassed and probably annoyed, the conductor would then schedule one. That family never brought *a single item* to contribute.

Good times... [8>]

• outnfree
    outnfree

Now, see?!!! "Goodie Nights" were monthly part and parcel of every kingdom hall book study group I ever attended -- even the one at the hall! Both in Canada and the States. I am positively SHOCKED to learn that this was not a practice THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE WORLDWIDE BROTHERHOOD (though it WAS the sisterhood that cooked!)!!!!

My fondest memories of JWdom are from Goodie Nights. It's where you got to put a human face on the friends instead of just hearing stock answers parroted back! People actually spoke about their real lives, problems, recent UNtheocratic activities... Even had an elder's wife once tell me that the way not to mind her husband's spicy Dorito breath was to make sure that she had at least one Dorito herself -- then when they'd kiss -- no problem !!! LOL Of course, that was the couple that only grabbed a few chips and then left, because Tuesday night after book study was grocery shopping night... Had to keep to the schedule -- busy in the Lord's work, you know...
    The rest of us stayed longer and gorged ourselves on baked goods, salads, fruit desserts and even some casseroles and entrees as some of the brothers came straight from work and this was dinner for them. I remember bringing cheese and pistachio nuts for a young brother who was diabetic and had to watch the sugar. It was all great fun!

outnfree

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts -- John Wooden

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Just before leaving the bOrg, the book study group I was in had the cake and snacks every week.

When I was a kid, a few families would remain after the book study and we would order pizza. Apparently one had to be in the "elite" group to get pizza privileges. [8>]

I remember my “elite” parents impatiently waiting for certain families to leave before ordering the pizza. Apparently they didn’t qualify for pizza privileges. Sometimes the “unworthy” families would dilly-dally around, obviously trying to get in on the pizza action – never worked.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• SYN
    SYN

The depth of the shunning is amazing, Elsewhere! And I was never an "Elite" Dub. Screw it.

Better a free cockroach than an "Elite" Dub!

"...the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing" - The Golden Age
    [SYN], UADA
    - Unseen Apostate Directorate of Africa.

• Angharad
    Angharad

We went one better when I was in Wales, every other week after the group a gang of us went ten pin bowling

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

What is sad is that I would get mad at the "unworthies" because they were delaying my pizza by hanging around. I would start steaming when I saw them at other meetings during the week.

Sad, very sad.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• chezza
    chezza

I remember the cake nights very well, and i believe they still go on in the local congregation, monthly, the first monday night in the month to be exact, and i remember the afternoons making the cakes trying to outdo sister so and so, i remember the pizza nights, we had the honor (excuse me while i puke) of having the book study at our house, we also had a pool table and you would be surprised how many would hang around after the meeting to hopefully get invited to stay and play, it was rather annoying whe your favorite tv show was going to be on and you really wanted everyone to leave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit