Who remembers Cake Nights?

by 2SYN 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I used to serve cookies after the Book Study. One night after the study the conducter pulled us aside and said that we should stop serving the cookies because he suspected that some of the friends were only coming for the cookies. Duh! So after that no more refreshments.

When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion. Abraham Lincoln

• 2SYN
    2SYN

Whenever an Elder sees something as being even potentially cool, they'll just put a stop to it. I think they never stopped doing it at my KH because it was only done once a month anyway, and I have a feeling that all the Bethelites would have starved if it weren't for those cake nights (my KH was very close to our Bethel).

"...the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing" - The Golden Age
    [SYN], UADA
    - Unseen Apostate Directorate of Africa.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Those were the best memories I have from the dubs.....good old cake night!!!

Homemade apple pie and ice cream was the best!!!

ashi

• Simon
    Simon

The only time we had anything like that was when someone was leaving (to another hall, not going over the fence).

I guess some halls are more fun than others!

• patio34
    patio34

I think it was called 'goodie nite' here in California. But it wasn't as frequent as every month. Usually at the end of a book or when someone was moving.

Pat
    UADNA (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America)

• Earnest
    Earnest

Cake nights. That's the milk of the word. On the East Rand (east of Johannesburg) we supplemented our spiritual meal with liqueurs after the book study. Full attendance there too.

Earnest

• KissAFish
    KissAFish

LMAO..ooooh the memories came flooding back...only highlight in a boring JW existence... And they had them in Australia...My mum would always comment after, on the "sisters" who ate too much cake... hehehee....

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

Here in Texas....we LOVE to eat! Any occasion was cake time!

When we had the bookstudy in our home, I made sure my coffee pot was set to go off @ exactly 8:30pm. (that way the conductor knew he had run overtime if he was still praying and smelled coffee) I usually had a pie or something for everyone after the study...and made sure I served everyone myself!! lol Oh the joys of looking like a submissive wife! We even organized an occasional bookstudy dinner. I lived close to the Kingdom Hall...so, the sisters knew if I wasn't out in service with them, they could drop by for coffee and a snack.

Our congregation was poor, but food was always abundant. We were told that our district consumed more assembly food than any other district in the United States!! LOL Believe it or not...not everyone was overweight.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~Voltaire

• Bang
    Bang

with all that bible study goin on, you'd think they'd be bakin cakes to give away.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

We called it 'cup of tea' night. And only certain book study groups would have them...it was left up to the host. We had the bookstudy at our house for many years and it got a bit tiresome...as there were some people who would only attend the bookstudy on cup of tea night...and since they'd missed the reminder the week before...they never bought a plate to share. Soooo...what was meant to be a joyful time of sharing became a burden.

There were some cases where some people would visit from other book study groups that didn't have a cup of tea night...this wasn't unusual...but they soon put a stop to it...and we were accused of being too 'clickie'. There's always someone who has to complain.

Beck

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit