What happens if the lights go out during a meeting?

by WTWizard 26 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

We all know of those Kingdumb Hells that don't have windows. And I never saw an a$$embly hell that had windows that would let light in that would reach the auditorium. So, what do they do if the lights go out during the middle of a boasting session?

I can see how this would be an issue. Imagine you are elderly and standing to sing a song, and in the middle of the first line, it suddenly goes pitch dark. Or, you have small children starting to wander, or you have to take them to the back (perhaps to administer their beating because they didn't sit quietly). You get just out of the row, and the lights go out. As I know, most witlesses do not carry portable flashlights or headlamps for such eventuality--I do, however, recommend anyone still attending boasting sessions to hide a small flashlight in their bag (use the lowest setting you can if the lights do go out, to egress the building).

For sure, if there are no windows, reading the LIE-ble or any publications can be pretty difficult in pitch dark (as can accessing the platform, as you could trip on the stairs if you are not prepared for sudden darkness). It is also pretty difficult for anyone in the audience to keep up with their washtowel--giving a comment in the exact words of the paragraph is difficult if you need to read the answer, and the lights go out before you can read it off. Granted it is not yet very common in the Americas or Europe, but given the situation in the Middle East and if we side with Israel and earn another oil embargo, and that the coal has been cut off for "environmental" reasons, it could well start becoming more common.

True, most of those places have battery powered emergency lights. Problem with those is, given the lousy quality most of those buildings use for their materials, they are not to be trusted. All it takes is for the battery to self-discharge, fail to charge properly in the first place, or a blown light bulb in the fixture, and they could be left in pitch dark. This is most dangerous for small children that could be trampled, or the elderly that have poor balance. But anyone can bump into a chair in the dark and get hurt. Even blind people, not themselves directly affected by its going pitch dark, could be imperiled by others who cannot see and are not used to it.

As I mentioned, most witlesses are not equipped for this situation. And it could work against them if the hounders start rounding up all available lights (they are not especially good at returning property to its rightful owner). This is why a small light that can be hidden in a pocket or bag is best, if anyone gets them. Putting it on its lowest setting is usually enough for you to get out with it, but not enough for Brother Hounder to round up for use (most of them can't figure out how to adjust the output of those things). Of course, the smartest thing for them to do is to end the boasting session when this happens--but I know as well as anyone else does that they never do the smartest thing.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Have you never used your cellphone as a light? I don't know any Dubs that don't have one.

Even the oldies have them so they can call an ambulance to keep them alive for the next few days/hours/whatever till Armageddy

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

the orgy begins.

no, seriously, nothing. they give it a few minutes to see if itll come back on, if not, everyone is dismissed.

happened a few times at my old cong due to storms.

• Adso
    Adso

You could say they've been out for years.

• mP
    mP

Well given Satan is always hiding in the dark, my guess the meeting would soon turn into an orgy. I give it 10-15 minutes. After all we know the WT tells us how bad and evil the world is everywhere so i guess this is what happens when trains break down ina tunnel each and every day anywhere in the world.

• SophieG
    SophieG

"Of course, the smartest thing for them to do is to end the boasting session when this happens--but I know as well as anyone else does that they never do the smartest thing."

Hey now! Maybe my cong was different. Whenever the lights went off...and the generator kicked on to supply minimum lights...they ALWAYS sent us home! Whoo-hoo!!!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I hope the lights go on for more and more who sit each week in Kingdom Halls, wasting their lives.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

I think the congregation will be sitting waiting for "new ligt", just as usual!

• Aware!
    Aware!

I was an attendant this past a$$embly and they told us to buy flashlights in case the lights go out. I did not buy one, and I still don't own a flashlight. Anyway, I had to buy a penlight for this semester and that's what I carry now. It's much lighter too.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

The jdubs on this side of the world held the big 3 day assemblies at stadiums during the day - doesn't matter if the lights go out. BUT there were a couple of sound issues now and again, they were sorted out rather quickly though - say 10/15 minutes and then the sound would be on again.

I'm sure they'll always have back up generators etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit