RANT! Old JWs make me so mad!

by lil.lady.03 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• lil.lady.03
    lil.lady.03

Ya know what! I'm tired of being polite and nice to JWs. Esp when they try to shame you to your face with a smile.

Even more so when they are in my family! But I’ve just about had with my JW family. I really want to scream at my grandma. Every time - and I know it’s my own fault -I go to her house to visit, she slyly tries to tell me that I ought to be ashamed of my decision to leave the truth.

Yesterday, I went off on her. She is in her 70s and I just couldn’t take it. I’m pregnant right now, and maybe it was the hormones, but I went off.

She said she read the text a few days ago and the topic was about those ppl who have left the truth and their probably ashamed of themselves and regret their decisions and all they need to do is talk to the elders.

I said, “Well that doesn’t apply to me. I am not ashamed of anything I’ve done. I’ve made my choices and I stand by them.”

She said with a smirk, “You’re not?”

“Nope. And besides no elder in the two years that I have left has ever came by to check on me. And do you really think that now that I am pregnant I’m going to waddle my ass in there and “confess” and try to be all shamed face? For what? If they cared THAT much they should have brought themselves around and said something to me a long time ago. Everybody knows where I live and if they don’t, they sure as hell can find out! Hell, last I heard everybody in the circuit knows I’m pregnant. And I wonder whose big mouth said something.”

She didn’t say anything back.

And what pisses me off the most. She told me to my face she isn’t coming to my baby shower, because my fiancé and I aren’t married yet.

OH LORDY! She made me so mad with that one.

I called her a hypocrite.

Just two months ago, a non JW niece of hers had a baby shower (And mind you she is not married) and my grandma was so0o0o0o excited and happy to go to that baby shower. This is a niece she hasn’t seen in over five years!! I have never ever met the cousin in my life, because when we were little THAT side of the family was off limits because they weren’t JWs.

So now all of a sudden, it’s okay to go to a non-believer’s celebration, because “oh they don’t know any better; show pity on them” mentality. But for her own flesh and blood granddaughter, she will NOT attend my baby shower because I stopped “believing, underlying a damn magazine, and bothering ppl on Saturday mornings”??

Grrrrr!!! WTF??????????

I asked her shouldn’t family come first. Her instant automatic reply, “NO! Jehovah comes first.”

There is no getting into her head.

I cried and I got so mad in the same minute. I feel bad for going off on my grandmother like that, but DAMN IT! I’m tired of being polite and bitting my tongue when these folks think they have whatever right to say what they want to you just because of a watchtower org!! It's sick.

I ran into old two sisters from my old hall the other day doing table witnessing. Force of habit, I just smiled. They looked at my belly and looked up at me, and gave me the most evil mean mug ever!

Goodness, I just wanted to punch them in the face!!!

• lil.lady.03
    lil.lady.03

I feel better letting all that out.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I was talking with someone recently how I don't understand the old JWs that have been in for years. It seems to me like they should know better. Just living through the 1975 fiasco should have helped them to wake up, I would think.

Also, something that you said reminded me of another conversation I had.

As a JW I always said "Jehovah comes first, then my family". But why did we do that? Why does love have to be 1st, 2nd, 3rd? Why can't it be "I love God and I love my family". Why does there have to be an order of who you love most? I think that's ridiculous and shows the concept of love in the organization.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

lil-why do you bother with Granny? She sounds mean spirited and selfish. It might be better for you to shun her, stop having any contact with her, don't show her your precious baby. She is toxic for you, especially right now. I wonder if she would've gone to the baby showers for the daughters of Lot, if they would've had them. They certainly should have known it wasn't right to bop you daddy while he was drunk.

• hoser
    hoser

Find the watchtower that says it is OK to leave the religion of your parents and tell her" I read in the Watchtower it is ok to leave the religion of your

parents if you find out they are not teaching the truth so I did"

• never a jw
    never a jw

JW's leaders make me mad because they say the stupidist things to justify their positions. Here's an email from an elder of a congregation. He was raised in the truth, he is also replacement of the c.o and a big honcho in every c.a. and d.a. He has 3 brothers, one has been a c.o. for many years, second is a lawyer in bethel, third brother is an elder who is also pursuing a law degree too. Oh I forgot his father is a retired medical doctor and an elder. I believe there's two other brothers, one I don't know the scoop, the other is DF'd.

The following is a part of multiple e-mails that he and I exchanged regarding the watchtower publications, prophecies, creation and higher education. I will post more later. Read and tell me if it doesn't make you cringe:.

"...Personally, I don't give more creedence to a scientists conclusions than I do to a polititian, religious leader or guy on the street. I also test everything I read in the Watchtower Publications. They are not perfect, they have been wrong before and I expect they will also be wrong in the future. But that applies to all publications. If, for example, a scientific journal reports one thing today, and next year informs us that new discoveries have shed new light on the subject and modified the previous conclusions, we hail it as a truth-seeking publication. That is what the Watchtower Publications are. They do not pretend to be inspired by God. Only the Bible can boast that distinction."

• perfect1
    perfect1

Your grandmother and mine should be friends. Unless they are one and the same and you are my long lost cousin.

I too had kept my mouth shut for the sake of the old, thinking, oh yes they are old and you dont want to upset them.

Ive decided thats a crock, they are old and old enough to know better. At some point, everyone is an adult, and responsible for their bad behavior.

• lil.lady.03
    lil.lady.03

@ Christ Alone: exactly, I never unserstood why there has to be degrees to who and what comes first.

@ paintedtoenail: My fiance said they same thing. I should just start shunning her and all other JWs. I really want to, but I love my grandmother. This was the first time I've ever spoken to her on this level as an adult. But now that I am becoming a mother, I am begining to realize that I have to protect my child from negative comments like the ones she says.

I'll admit it is hard. I still feel as if there should be a family bond in place before anything or any religion, but i guess not. And also, there are some JWs I see and they are nice and polite and ask how I am doing. I am very selective about who I share my business with, so I don't know if I should do things on a case by case bases. hmmmmm.....

@hoser: I'll look for that article. I know there is a Nov 2012 mag that my mom left out and about one day at her house about questioning religion or organized religion or something like that.

@ never a jw: It does make me cringe, but at the same time I have met several head honchos who have said the same thing. SO WAKE UP!!!! ugh! It makes me upset, because there are JWs who know the publications are phoney as baloney, but still ascribe to the whole routine. And then there are those JWs who can't think their way out a paper bag, and they would take this elder's statement and use it to prove and back up everything they can about the org.

Can someone please make a timemachine. I wish I would have walked away sooner. I really want my childhood back. LOL!!!

• steve2
    steve2

I can empathize with your difficulty in handling JW family members' behaving like, well, er, JWs - although my maternal and paternal JW grandparents - all now deceased - were lovely people. It was my uncles and aunts who did my head in with their constant carping about 'time's runnning out and you need to come back...' I learnt not to take the bait - something you could learn to do with all due respect.

You could simply decide to do something for your grandmother that up until now she has not done for you: Just accept her exactly as she is, warts and all.

Besides, from the more traditional perspective, she's a senior family member and that warrants some respect. Okay, it's irritating when she makes sweeping assumptions about ppl who have left the religion and you for your part react with an intent to show her she is wrong to make such assumptions.

But honestly, why bother? You know her assumptions about you are wrong so smile back at her and get on with your life. You could be radical and give her a lovely big hug, tell her you love her and make her day. That way you show her by your actions that you are a well-adjusted, non-defensive, loving ex JW. Cliches nail it so well: Your actions will speak louder to her than your [defensive] words.

• lil.lady.03
    lil.lady.03

perfect1: LOL! we just might be related. But so true, you try to respect older ppl becasue that is the right thing to do, but they think they can say whatever they want. Well then, they should be able to HEAR whatever is said in respone. Hell, they are adults.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit