How BIG was YOUR JW book-bag?

by Scully 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

When I was replying to Nicolas' question in another thread, I used the following scripture to show why JWs are always so tired:

"The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the seat of Moses. Therefore all the things they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds, for they say but do not perform. They bind up heavy loads and put them upon the shoulders of men, but they themselves are not willing to budge them with their finger. All the works they do they do to be viewed by men; for they broaden the [scripture-containing] cases that they wear as safeguards, and enlarge the fringes [of their garments]." - Matthew 23:2-5

So the claim Jesus was making, was that the scribes and Pharisees went around with enlarged frontlet bands (which contained scriptures) and long fringes on their garments for show.

Did anyone else ever notice that the more "spiritual" people wanted to appear, the bigger their briefcase was? Not just for field service, either. The COs and DOs I remember had the big honking box-like briefcases that look like they weighed about 40 pounds. You never ever saw an elder come to the meeting with "just" their Bible, songbook and study magazine.

So....... 'fess up!! How big was your briefcase??

Love, Scully

UADNA-C (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America-Canada)

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Hmmmm....I used to think...the bigger the bag...the bigger the man! So NOT! My ex used to be the Theocratic School overseer..so he had a lot of reference books which he had to take as part of his duties....so he had one of those Pilot briefcases...they were quite good and practical. However, on a Sunday he always took a different bag..bible/song book/and note pad and pen...that was it, oh and his contribution purse lol. But out on field service...he took ANOTHER bag....this was always well stocked with amunition...and was heavy as hell.

As for me...my bag was hardly ever used...it has been made redundant...and it is still brand new looking...what a pathetic publisher I was. However, my bible was a different story...very well worn, tagged and marked...I was told by a CO that it was not appropriate to use in field service...it was distracting. Whatever!

Beck

• BQE
    BQE

hehehehe.
    This reminded me of those huge, suitcase like bags that the elders and COs would take to the assemblies. I remember the vendors out around Yankee stadium selling those plastic magazine and book covers--about 25 cents each. My bag? PUH! I never carried one, only a little purse, made sure I had only a little bit of money (if I had more than $5 on me my dad would make me donate it) my bible and maybe a songbook. My dad would make us study for hours and hours the Sunday WT article, but I would often not, so I always claimed that I gave the magazine away to a classmate at school. That would get me off the hook.

• LB
    LB

Well I guess my bookbag was a bit larger than it needed to be. I started out with a small one when an elder told me I wasn't prepared enough for service with that small one. What if I needed to place a different book? So I upgraded to the full size model.

Eventually my wife and I held a little burning out back. The book bags were tossed into the fire and it just felt so good.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

My mummy used to carry the bag....I just ran amok on the front lawn...for some strange reason however, I can only remember what her Avon bag looked like....carried 100 times the stuff her jw bag did!!! Smelt better too.

You've been a BAD boy, go to MY room

• Kep
    Kep

Haha Beck, yep, I was guilty of the same as your ex.
    I had to take 2 bags to the meetings.
    One huge bugger with all the accounts info etc, plus my normal briefcase that had my meeting crap in it.
    Then for the field I had this other bag, and that was a bit of a whopper, it had truckloads of stuff in it, very impressive but oh so heavy.
    Just thinking about when you would go with your mum Vi, I used to love Field Service as a kid, why ?? So I could run up to the door and push the doorbell. How sad is that !!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I still can't buy a large bag without thinking about those d**ned bags - used to get a sore shoulder from it - as elder's wife had to make it look good and carry a big well stocked bag - he would check to make sure everything I could possibly need was in there - gooooan

Rejoice in the healing and not in the pain.
    Rejoice in the challenge overcome and not in the past hurts.
    Rejoice in the present - full of love and joy.
    Rejoice in the future for it is filled with new horizons yet to be explored. - Lee Marsh 2002

• Farkel
    Farkel

lol Scully!

: So....... 'fess up!! How big was your briefcase??

Of course, this is going to date me but I had a briefcase that was a briefCASE. It was one of those leather ones that were triangular-shaped, with the wide-end at the bottom.

The particular one that I used in my dub days was capable of holding about 1/4 of the books in the Library of Congress, plus a five-course meal and a spare tire for my car!

Farkel, who still wonders why his right arm is five inches longer than his left arm

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hey Farkel,

Guess what my high school graduation present was from my mon and dad?
    A leather book bag just like the one you described. I think it is still in the closet, but I may have thrown it away, since it had mold all over it. I wish it had been a '54 Chevy coup.

Ken P.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Since we're on the theme of bags...I just thought I'd mention how 'catty' some of the sisters were. Its not unusual for sisters to compete...usually its clothing or hair styles...sometimes it might even be the elaborate answers in the WT study...or...get this...how cool their witnessing bag was. One sister admires the bag of the other sister...next thing she zooms down and buys herself the identical bag. Hmmm...next thing one sister is snubbing the other sister...not impressed that she 'copied' her, and stole her joy for having the coolest most unique bag in the kingdom hall.

Beck

ps...I didn't really snub her!! LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit