Confused in choosing a career. What would be a better choice?

by will-be-apostate 34 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

1) what are you interested in

2) what are your skills, what skills do you need to add

3) what jobs are available in the countries you have listed and what are the requirements for someone outside to qualify

4) what would it cost, what funds do you have now or can access through grants, scholarships, help from family, low-cost loans

5) college degrees are not "equal." In today's world certain types are sought after by employers.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I am very dissapointed and don`t know anymore if there is any use of vasting 6+ years of the best years of my life and then not accomplishing any of my aims.

Going to college isn't a waste, it's where you transition (hopefully) from an idiot teenager into an educated adult with a career.

Decide what you want to do. Do what it takes to make it work. Work two jobs, apply for scholarships, get student loans. You are already writing off things as impossible.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I worked at an American university abroad. We only offered engineering degrees. If you are good at maths and science, I would recommend petroleum or chemical engineering. Both offer good jobs in a variety of places and you will be well paid. No blood, guts or gingivitis involved. I would recommend you get in a program with American or possibly britist credentials, and I would recommend that you get your english at the VERY highest level you can before entering college if possible (engineering requires high english skills). I would recommend also that you keep improving at it until you are top rate.

You will not get an American job right away, you usually need a little experience, then you need to get a job at the on site locations (Qatar, KSA, Egypt) if in petroleum. Chemical engineering however is a great field and more long term possibilities, I think, also, cleaner! There will be opporutnities there in medicine, petroleum and manufacturing. Biomedical engineering might be interesting to you.

Just some thoughts. I taught English composition. I worked on a lot of resumes and helped a lot of people get interviews and papers published. Its a very wide open field, engineering. Don't think too small. It is really huge, pays well, and has more variety than you might at first think.

• talesin
    talesin

To live here, figure about $5,000/year to cover 'bare minimum' living expenses.

tal

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

OH, and you can spend those six years slinging burgers, or digging ditches-will they be less wasted? It is just your life, every day you will live it. YOu are not wasting time in educating yourself. Use that time to learn and grow in every direction so that they are NOT wasted, no matter what you end up doing. Those are wonderful years, let them be rich, no matter what you decide to study.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

FYI, I think Polish medical degrees are considered very good. I know that it is considered to be a good choice for high quality medical care when you odn't want to wait on the national health service (in UK, for example). Might want to look into that. Ihave a few doctor friends who got their basic degree in Poland or Egypt an dthen went on to get the higher training(further certification-not sure how it works). ONe of them is a VERY high paid doctor who runs the dialysis department/nephrology for the national health system. He went to med school in poland. If you are interested in Medicine, speak to a counselor ther about it and consult a medical school in the states for their ideas, too. People are usually happy to help and can let you know if there are options in that way. that being said, he works in the ME, but I know he(dr. in ME) is respected and gives lectures in the US.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

How many of these trades/degrees listed can you find ANYWHERE?

None, but there's always a MC Donalds.

• likeabird
    likeabird

It's really good you're checking out your options now. There's no reason you why you shouldn't find success in what you finally choose. Remember too, your choices will evolve and develop as you pursue your education and more doors open to you.

Here are a few ideas to check further :

As others have said, look into getting scholarships. Several scholarships on offer for international students are for students coming from specific countries or regions. It's quite probable your country is included. You have to see. Also check if you can cumulate scholarships to see you through all your academic studies (Bachelor, Master, PhD - depending how far you want to go), if not, at which level of study it would be more advantageous to start studying abroad.

Another thing to look into are exchange programs. If you are a student in a university in your home country (or a neighboring one) you should be able to apply to study for up to a year in a foreign country. If accepted, you only pay the tuition fees for the university in your home country, not the university abroad. (You would only have living expenses to pay and could get a part time job to cover that - in the U.S. you can normally work up to 20 hours a week on a student visa.) So if you get accepted to exchange with a university in the U.S., for example, you would be saving yourself quite a sum of money in tuition fees. Again, check how many exchange programs you can be eligible to do throughout your studies. If it's more than one, then doing one early on (at least in your second year, if possible) would be really good for your English - which I might add, already seems to be very good, but studying in a foreign language can be a challenge.

I don't know how far you plan to continue your studies, but in case you are considering going all the way, in some places, when you start your doctorate studies, you can actually get a monthly stipend which covers you for your three years of study and research. Yes, you get 'paid' to study. I have heard from someone working on coordinating university exchanges in North America that this may also be possible in the U.S. in some universities, but this would need to be investigated further.

Another possibility for doctorate studies, but I don't know if it's an option in universities in your country (or for medical studies), and that's to do your doctorate with two thesis directors. That means two universities and two countries. So you would be based in a university in your home country with your professor who will direct your thesis, and then you would find another professor in another university abroad (e.g. one of your chosen countries) who would also co-direct your thesis. (I hope you can follow this.) While based primarily in your home university, you would also spend at least two or three months of each year in the other university. And again, you would quite likely only have to pay the tuition fees for your home university, not the foreign one. The other advantage is that at the end, you graduate with two doctorate degrees - one from each university...

It's true studying at university is a big investment, but if you can minimise the amount of debt you end up with, I think you would be happy to know you have that option. Hopefully this can at least give you some ideas about what's on offer out there.

Take full advantage of this wonderful opportunity ahead of you. All the best to you.

• bobld
    bobld

MINING ENGINEERING.

I believe some mining companies will even help with tution.They will fly you around the world

see maclean's mag

• bobld
    bobld

MINING ENGINEERING.

I believe some mining companies will even help with tution.They will fly you around the world

see maclean's mag

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit