Confused in choosing a career. What would be a better choice?

by will-be-apostate 34 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus100
    shamus100

Chemical engineers are in high demand too. One poster whom shall remain nameless took my advice and is taking it right now, hoping to immigrate here. ;) Be warned it's a difficult course.

• Glander
    Glander

As a young person think about this - you will invest 6 years of your life in the next 6 years! No matter what you do!. A degree in something useful, by that I DO NOT mean Liberal Arts, will always serve you well. Go for the degree and don't be too anxious to plan your entire life interests right now. The stimulus of the educational environment will provide the input on the field that suits your intellectual enthusiasm. Your post is written in pretty damn good English so you have a leg up right there. Sometimes people think of eastern europe as the sterotypical Borat movie. But those countries are beautiful and have potential for growth. Of the western countries you have mentioned, including the US, I think Canada is a good prospect. My son is very interested in New Zealand and is planning a lengthy visit there. My opinion is that small countries with sound economies are very particular about the immigration of educated people.

Best wishes on your exciting trek through life!

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

Do some job shadows to get a feel for what these careers would be like. Could you see yourself doing that job and enjoying it?

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

Thanks for the replies. The problem is that I cannot afford to study in Canada, UK, or USA because I as a foreigner cant get loan. Obiously I dont have the $100,000+...

I dont feel that dedicated to medicine, if I did it it wouldnt be because I like it, but because of the money. I dont say that there is no part in medicine that I like. The subjects are interesting, chemistry, biology, anatomy. I just couldnt do even an injection. And the amount of year of studies. And if i cant do anything with my degree if I get it here, then I totally forget about it. BUT, I could earn a degree in engineering or dentistry here, in Romania (here we go, I revealed myself now :D).

Its true that many degrees dont transfer so well internationally. --that is why i dont know what to do, what to choose. If i stay and become a chemical engineer, for instance, I will have a hard time getting it recognized and becoming licenced. Maybe I will go for dentistry and if cant get in, will go to an engineer college.

Let`s say I have done it. I have a BSc in something. I moved to Canada, am cleaning windows. Could I apply for an MSc program? Would they tell me that first I have to get a BSc? Wouldn`t they recognized my BSc that I got here, in RO? MSc last only 2-3 years.

So, if you know a profession that i could do and is transferable to there, tell me. To tell you the truth I thought that it is easy to emigrate and get a good job. I thought i would easily get a degree in something here, then move and work there... Guess what? It is just a dream. BTW, in Romania resident doctors have a monthly income of $250 - $500, doctors who have experience slightly earn more than 1500-2000 . They are not starving but such a salary after studing 10+ years.

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

Oh god, I am freaking incorrect when using conditional tenses :D

• talesin
    talesin

will-be

Here's the link from Immigrations Canada to get you started

Hope this is helpful. :))

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

• Glander
    Glander

My advice would be to get started in the engineering field. It is heavy in mathematics, so hopefully you have a sound base to start with. But that is the basis of all high tech and branches off in lots of fields. My youngest son pursued a degree in civil engineering and just receiveed his Associates degree. He is next going for a MBA in economics because the mathematics are the hard part and he already has a 3.9 in that.

I speak with great authority here, as I am a high school drop out.

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

Thank you Talesin. You mentioned that university. I was google-ing about the loans and banks and they do give me loan once I am accepted to a university. Beside the tuition fees, how much money would I need to cover other costs while studying? I mean, for rent, food etc

By the end of the studie I would end up with a $200,000+ debt which needs to be paid back.

• JeffT
    JeffT

What do you like doing? The key ingredient to a successful career is to love the work. If get up every morning hating the idea of another day at whatever you're doing you will never be great at it. Thnk long and hard about what you like to do, see if you can get internships in something that looks interesting so you'll know for sure.

I had a friend at work a few years ago who told me he planned on being a dentist when he first went to college, because they made lots of money. He then said one night at 3 in the morning he sat up in bed and said to himself "my god I'm going to spend the rest of my life with my hands inside some one else's mouth!" He changed majors to finance the next day.

• perfect1
    perfect1

Yes you end up with debt, but you also end up with a radically different life- money earning potential, status, interests.

Dont be afraid of the debt, it is the best investment you can make in yourself.

And look at the investment of time this way- six years of your life will pass one way or another- you can finish the six years with opportunities you could never have had before, or finish the six years qualified for the same types of jobs you have now.

You need to get specific with your research, call admissions in schools of interest in the USA and Canada and ask them if they would accept your Romanian BSc for entry into the MA program.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit