Confused in choosing a career. What would be a better choice?

by will-be-apostate 34 Replies latest jw friends

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

I had started a topic like this a few months ago but I thought it might be usefull to ask YOU again. I really need advise from persons who live in the following countries: USA, Canada, UK. Australia. But any piece of information is good from anyone who can help me.

I am in the last year of high school and will graduate in July, 2013. I live in Eastern Europe. My aims are:

• to go to college/university
    • to emigrate to one of the above listed countries
    • to get a job in the profession I studied

My question is: HOW? I could attend to medical school but I saw that it is very difficult and long process to validate my degree in any of the countries I would like to move to. I will be 30+ when I will get my first salary.

Dentistry is a bit less difficult to get a licence but still IS for me, and I am not sure if I could do that work all my life.

Maybe engineering or... I don`t know. What would be a degree that could be easily get recognized, and I could start working at least at age 26 in one of those countries? And make a decent living, of course...

I know that the best would be to get in a college/university of that country but financially it is impossible.

Veterinaer, chemical engineer, dentist, or what else?? I am very dissapointed and don`t know anymore if there is any use of vasting 6+ years of the best years of my life and then not accomplishing any of my aims.

Please if you knoiw a way, a person who went through this, please answer then. Maybe you can help to bring this big decision in my life. My jw membership doesn`t count. I don`t give a *** to the policies and the elders know it, fortunately.

Thank you :)

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Congrats on your decision to pursue a college education. I don't mean to be a pessimist, but I'm going to be very honest with you. Right now, in the US, the economy is horrendous. I have a college degree and it's been difficult finding a job. Companies seem to be apprehensive about hiring new employees due to the yet-unknown costs of Obama's health care law (that's my theory anyway). However, the economy will recover. While you're in school, it won't matter. Perhaps by the time you complete your degree, you will graduate in a strong economic environment. The medical profession is very "iffy" right now. Many doctors and med students fear that they will not make the same amount of money once Obamacare takes effect. Obviously, you seem intelligent and drawn to the sciences. Have you considered a career in research?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

If you want to move to Australia, you need to have a university education and experience in some kind of employment that Australia needs.

Here's the Australian government link on immigration to Australia for you to read: http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration

• hoser
    hoser

In Western Canada the economy is smoking hot! There is great demand for trades electrical, pipefitters, plumbers, mechanics and Doctors, nurses etc.

I don't know a lot about the process of getting here, but I do know that whatever you study abroad or qualifications you have in your own country may be totally useless here as Canada doesn't recognize many trades or professions from other places. Many highly skilled in their own country have come to Canada only to work menial labour jobs because their skills are not recognized here.

hoser

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Hey man, firstly well done for thinking ahead, very smart decision !

I went back to school a age 26 to get my high school grades so I could do medicine. I am now in my 6th of 7 years at medical school and I am 31 years old. I would not change a thing. I love it. If you WANT to do medicine, then do it. If not...don’t.

I have medic friends that first did dentistry, hated it and are now doing medicine as a second degree. Dentistry is the same length of degree as Medicine and not far off medicine in terms of challenge. It is also very competitive.

At the end of the day, my thoughts are that life goes by once, it doesn’t hang about. Do what will make you happy. I love medicine, I love being on the wards, I love all of it. So the hard work and stress is worth it.

By the way, if you work hard your chances of getting in are fair. If you get a good degree from the UK and USA you can go work anywhere without any extra training in medicine. Most go to Australia from the UK. That’s my plan too.

If you want any help or advice PM me. Think big, think what will make you happy, have a plan and get on that plan asap.

Snare x

• perfect1
    perfect1

Hi!

Good for you for asking.

First of all- what country do you want to live in long term. If you want to live in the US, it would be best to go to school in the states. Its true that many degrees dont transfer so well internationally.

Any of the career options you mention are fine, but because you are all over the place I would recommend taking a few personality tests that tell you what kind of work you might find fulfilling or have an aptitude for. One such test in the Meyers Briggs Inventory. Also, you are a bit young but maybe you could go shadow some of the professionals you are interested in becoming. This means you follow them around for a day and see what its like. Its up to you to take the inititive there but it is your life so its worth it.

The good news is any four year degree (BA) will likely require as much as two years of general coursework outside of your major so you have a little room to figure things out in your first year.

As an international student, access to financial aid may be your first hurdle. See if you can find a school that will work with you on the cost. Hopefully all your test scores are top notch. When I first went to college I didnt understand how important it is to go to the best school you possibly can. A better school will have more opportunities, more connections, and you will learn more. It is worth going into debt for a better school.

I think if you want to become a doctor go for it. Dont worry about not working right away, when you do begin working as a doctor you will be making more money than the others. Dont listen to pessimists! Good for you! Go for it!

• talesin
    talesin

You could apply to take your MD here in Canada. Our medical school here at Dalhousie University has many foreign students. Tuition is high for non-Canadians, but you would then be licensed to practice here, and perhaps other Commonwealth nations as well as the USofA.

Most professions aren't recognized here if the credentials are earned in other countries, but we have many doctors from other countries. I would suggest getting in touch with Immigrations Canada to check this out.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Sorry I just have to say...

"I don't mean to be a pessimist, but I'm going to be very honest with you. Right now, in the US, the economy is horrendous"

This is a very good point, the problem is global. In the UK unemployment in the youth is higher than ever before. This is what makes education by far the most important decision in a young persons life. The UK and USA are very similar and the facts I have linked to below make me so angry with Watchtower and its underhanded lies about higher education.

Average UK graduate salary is £25,000 ($41000) at age 21!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8504999.

Uk graduates earn on average £12,000 ($19,500) more than non graduates of same age.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12983928

The state gains ten times what it puts into higher education as it is so economically beneficial to all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18353539

" I have a college degree and it's been difficult finding a job."

This is a huge misconception, with the greatest respect...if you are finding it hard, how hard do you think it is for people with no higher education or specalised knowledge/training. JW's are trying to survive on window cleaning wages, some with families. at some point their health will give out. Will the WT start supporting them? Even work such as joinery and plumbing etc, all very useful to the society and its property portfolio. These jobs do not keep people afloat, you are self employed in a recession and again if your health takes a hit, your family and your home is sunk. Obviously there are degress with risks. But still, it is statistically and logially the smarter decision. I have so much respect for the person digging the hole in the road, fixing pipes under the floors, cleaning the windows in the wind...... but I want more for my family and children. I want them to be in a happy secure profession they enjoy. Not once has the Watchtower ever suggested a good degree in medicine or law or dentistry. You could easily work part time, have a significant wage and still do WT activity. So why dont they? They want worker ants for their business and they dont want you getting smart.

But above all, the point I am making is that college/university is important. Besides a degree is 3 years, the same length of time as a course in plumbing, joinery, brick laying etc etc... So to pretend it is more of a comitment than a tech college is a lie. As the fantastic comedian Louis CK says "Tech college.... where dreams are narrowed down!"

"The medical profession is very "iffy" right now. Many doctors and med students fear that they will not make the same amount of money once Obamacare takes effect. Obviously, you seem intelligent and drawn to the sciences. Have you considered a career in research?"

My I ask in what way id healthcare "iffy" ? Medicine pays enough so you can focuson your patients and not your phone bill. But people dont choose medicine for the money. If you are smart enough to do medicine, you are smart enough to study economics and make real money looking after hedge funds of super rich companies such as Watchtower! It is a huge misconception that medicine is about money. Either way, it pays fantastically.

In the UK we get paid less than the USA but it is sinificantly more than a plumber!

UK: First two years on the job as a Jnr Doctor approx £30,000 (with over time) approx $50,000

Doctor £70,000 or $113,000

Consultant £100,000 or $162,000

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/doctors/pay-for-doctors/

USA: The doctors in the USA are doing just fine too http://mdsalaries.blogspot.co.uk/

As for obamacare, dont believe the hype. In the UK we have a full free healthcare system (many ignorant americans call it communist as they struggle to pay for their healthcare ) and doctors get paid plenty as you can see above. Also bare in mind these are all wages if you work for the countries health system. You can go private and make a lot , lot, more !

So medicine is never going to be a bad option or "iffy" with the greatest respect. I have no doubt that every medical student and doctor is content with the future ahead, believe me the effort it takes to get to be a doctor is significant enough, that feeling "iffy" is enough to stop you dong it.

As for research... this is a wonderful thing to do for mankind. But it is a difficult way to survive with a family, paticularly financially. You spend your life chasing research grants. It is a scary existance. I am a medical inventor as well as a medical student. My research is due to begin this year for my medical invention. I am surrounded by researchers that we have hired for the hospital trials. It is a scary existance ! But their motives are good. If you get lucky and get into an institution you can do ok, but mostly, its moving from university, to univeristy or hospital to hospital... chasing research funding.

For me it would still be far better than window cleaning etc. But each to their own.

Dariokehl , I am sincerely sorry to hear you are struggling to find work, so many people are now. May I ask what degree you did? I mean no offence but, a degree by itself is not enough, though it is an advantage. It is important to choose the right one, I'm sure you agree. For example the rate of employment with a medical degree is over 99% and the few that dont are people going abroad.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

One university in Western Canada (I don't recall which) offers a scholarship that pays the whole undergrad tuition for a foreign student, including living expenses.

• talesin
    talesin

S&N

Newly-graduated MDs get $150K to start here, plus benefits. But the student loans they bear are astronomical.

Just sayin ...

EDIT: Oh, and as a resident (last 2 years training), you get a SALARY of $50K.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit