Pursuing higher education is comparable with having OCD - according to Gerrit Losch

by cedars 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Still, the analogy shows his very poor skill at argumentation.

OCD is a very serious condition, and is treatable by reasonable methods (by or with treatments from college trained people, irony there)

So young witnesses have an untreated condition, what is it? Poor earning power? Lack of education?

He never gives an explanation.

How is shooting oneself, something no one would recommend, like going to college, which is a reasonable thing that millions of religious young people do every year and then return to their faith?

Maybe this is more projection; Losch feels that the GB has shot themselves with their policies, and he subconsciously brings it out this way.

Either way: he earns his stripes as one of the gang of 7 8 idiots at the top of large pile of idiots.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Jesus- that moron looks like Fred Flintstone!

HB

• kepler
    kepler

"Now this young man survived and the bullet had hit this part of the brain that was responsible for his compulsory behavior. After he recovered he was normal. So, the question is: Yes he survived coll[ege] in that case we can supply it to college. He survived that operation, the bullet operation.

"But would we recommend that to others? That’s a different matter"

-------

I don't follow this man's reasoning at all. Were we even presented a coherent question? He might have made his case better in the Italian.

Since GB member Gerrit Loesch waded into this metaphor-parable quagmire, this is what I come away with (below). And like an optical effect in a drawing, once it's seen, it's really hard to ignore.

Whether intended or not, he suggests that university training is comparable to remedying an obsessive-compulsive disorder by attempted suicide with a gun.

Now where does the compulsive disorder come into the picture?

His call to would-be students to drop what they are doing and start knocking on doors and distributing pamphlets so that other people might start knocking on doors and distributing pamphlets that have been churned out obsessive-compulsively for the last 100 years.

Let us disregard for a moment the severity, suffering or possible disrespect for people who have this problem. To cut to the chase, i f I had a choice between shooting myself with a gun or going to university to cure an OCD, I would choose the former. Especially with the knowledge that this invocation to duty comes from the same guy that was speculating on seven billion non-publishers getting irradiated for their non-participation.

It sounds like many on this forum already made a similar decision.

Loesch's argument implies that if the world as we know it ends in the next ten minutes or within Metheuselah generation years, you'll be sorry. For this he cites Luke 12:13. I read the chapter. That does not leap out at me. This "suit" should examine verse 33 as well. But I guess that wouldn't be publishing or governing.

That 71% of students mentioned monetary reward as a reason (perhaps among many) to go college should not be surprising. The air we breathe is 71% nitrogen as well, but I do not reject the sustenance of the 20% of it that is oxygen. Had Loesch ever come across the parable about hiding gifts under a bush? Or just simply bringing to maturity the gifts that God has granted us?

I have never heard of any one going to college for celebrity. Perhaps he is referring to those who might wish to go to a famous institution. Many of my high school friends wanted to go to Princeton or to Notre Dame…

It did not seem to trouble Mr. Loesch where concepts such as compulsive disorders seem to come from or where knowledge of them might be gained. Is psychology a word in his vocabulary? And then I wonder by what miracle did the young man survive the gun shot or how it was determined that he had performed fortuitous surgery ( if this is more than an urban legend) on the part of his brain where the malady originated? If it is true, then it was all in a day's work for someone who could have (as a result of theocratic enlightenment) been spending his days knocking on doors with copies of the WT and "What the Bible Really Teaches".

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

WHAT?

" If they have GOOD motives WE ( the Gibbering Buddy) will not judge them."

How do they know they have BAD motives? Are they reading minds? isnt this DEMONISM?

What happened to Paul's words "let nobody judge you with regard to a festival or a holy day", or "Who are YOU to be judging your brother."

But of course - the Gibbering Buddies are not apostles of christ they are promoting the OT Jewish religion. What Christ wants doesnt even come into it.

They assume EVIL motives of anyone who disagrees with them.

Look at what they do. Who is evil?

HB

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

isnt OCD repeating the same action over and over again, and expecting a different result?

Going out on the Door to Bore Misery is a s OCD as it comes.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

OOdad - What subject?

HB

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    " If they have GOOD motives WE ( the Gibbering Buddy) will not judge them."

We will compare what they do to foolishly shooting themselves in the head, but we will not judge them.

Even though you have to be desperate to do it.

And foolish.

BUT we will not judge them.

• Healthworker
    Healthworker

00DAD
    • SINGULAR: there is NO similarity ... , or
    • PLURAL: there are NO similarities ..

Hi, again! I knew there was something wrong with "similarities" in that sentence. I spelled it once, changed it and then the flip floped it back again, but knew that I probably got it wrong! I haven't been writing your language for ages, so it takes some practise to catch up again! One advantage we got over here, is that we learn vocals and writing at the same time, so it's easier to get the spelling right (since you don't write the words as it is spoken).

Anyways, thanks to our mutual "friend" in GB, I got the chance to write with you guys and that have been very healthy and an inspiration for me! It would probably delay future development of dementia aswell...

Have a good one, brothers. Time to sleep!

Love Healthworker

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

What I get from his analogy is that the bullet to the head/subsequent surgery were likened to college. (maybe others thought this too, haven't read posts) The man survived the shot and operation and was actually normal after....so if you carry this analogy through, it would be like saying there are small chances for people to 'survive' college . (the funny part is that there is a chance that a 'college survivor' may actually turn out normal, losing a dysfunctional part of them during the experience!! ~~~~so, the OCD is the religion, as I see it)

• kepler
    kepler

FFF,

I think we are on the same page. Check a couple of post boxes above.

When I opened up this post, I did a quick look for "obsessive compulsive disorder" on the forum. The search came back with 400 references. It's not like it had never occurred to anyone that there is some connection. That a member of the governing board would rattle on about it might be the equivalent of giving away company secrets. There's probably a binder labelled OCD in his office - eyes only.

A couple of years ago, many things that started to happen in my house seemed to be characterized by an ever raising high jump bar. As my X started to disappear over the event horizon, I heard her say something one day while she was on travel; this was at the point that we actually had to stay in separate hotels when I met her in Phoenix to show her the Grand Canyon. When I had offered to go to a Sunday service with her again, she now declined, but added.

"I just keep feeling like I can't do enough for Jehovah..."

And the bar was still going higher.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit