Favorite JW Urban Legends

by Christ Alone 59 Replies latest jw experiences

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

What are your favorite urban legends that you heard as a JW?

Here's mine:

A brother, through his work, was asked to give a speech to the United Nations. He was very nervous about it, but he put together his entire speech that included the truths that he had learned from the Watchtower. During his speech he mentioned that the United Nations was spoken of in the Bible and that it says that they would soon wipe out all religion. After the speech he was approached by a member of the UN. "How did you know about this?!? the man said. "Like I said, it is prophesied in the Bible", our brother replied. "Well, that is fascinating," said the UN member. "We have been talking about doing that very thing for some time now!"

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Anyone here the one about how the song "Crystal Blue Persuation" is based on the Truth book?

Another one I remember is that when John Denver went on the Johnny Carson show, an interesting thing happened. The legend goes that John Denver hated JWs so much that before beginning his performance at his concerts he would ask all the JWs to stand. He would then tell them to leave and that they weren't welcome at his show. Well, Johnny found out about this and asked John Denver. John Denver admitted that yes, he does do this at his concerts. So Johnny looks at him and says, "You see that camera man over there?" "Yes", John Denver replied. "Well he is a fantastic person and he happens to be a Jehovah's Witness. So now I would like to ask you.... Please leave my show." The audience cheered as John Denver was ushered off the set.

• eazy
    eazy

I remember the John Denver story although I didn't hear it with the Johnny Carson angle.

What really stands out when I think about this topic is all the "demonized" items and places. Don't remember specific stories, but remember always dreading bringing a "demonized" item into the house. What nonsense!

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Another:

An elderly annointed sister was out in service by herself. She went to a house and to get to the door she had to ascend a narrow stairway to get to the door. She knocked and no one answered. All of a sudden she felt hands on her shoulders, and the hands were attempting to push her down the stairway...but no one was behind her. She cried out, "Jehovah save me!" Immediately the hands left her shoulders, and in her ear she heard a voice say "You need to leave. They want to push you down the stairs." She lefts and told another anointed brother about this. He told her "The same thing has happened to me. It was the angels that saved you."

• Nambo
    Nambo

The John Denver urban legend we used to get was that he asked Witnesses to leave because his trick of his guitar playing itself wouldnt work with Witnesses in the audience, demons would play it see!

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

Sooo, I want to know about Crystal Blue Persuation.....what is the story behind that song? I love Tommy James and the Shondells!

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Supposedly someone in the band wrote "Crystal Blue Persuasion" after reading the "Truth" book, which had a blue cover. The lyrics do seem to parallel basic JW teachings.

Well, there's the well-known walking-Smurf-doll story.

I heard so many "demonized items" stories that I was terrified. My ex-husband's family practically made a religion out of that concept.

Supposedly, our congregation was located in some sort of demon "hot zone," like it was the place where the demons held conventions. The cong. had so many demon problems that they had to call in some heavy hitters from Brooklyn to deal with it. The congregation was Waterville, Maine in case anyone else has heard about this.

The in-laws believed that if you suspected an item was harboring a demon you would test it by taking it outside of the roofline of your home, waiting to see if the suspected demon activity stopped, and if so you could return the item to the home and try something else. They had an old van on the property that at one point was chock-a-block full of suspected items.

http://scottleblog.wordpress.com

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses

• loosie
    loosie

Yes I have heard about the crystal blue persuasion and the truth book and the John Denver story... all made up if you ask me... just like the serpent in the garden of eden.

• Princess Ashe
    Princess Ashe

some one broke into a sister's apartment and was about to rape her and she yelled out jehovah help me over and over.the guy got scared and left.

out in service a brother was walking back to his car leaving a house and some dogs came out after him he gave a quick prayer and all of a sudden the dogs stopped.

some one was praying to God for help at home and then a witness shows up at there door.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I totally forgot about these. i heard the UN, John Denver and the woman about to be raped. I bought them hook, line and sinker... what a dumb ass

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit