Chapter 4 Hassan's New Book - Evaluating the Situation

by flipper 10 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

In Chapter 3 of the book Hassan talks about the use of the Strategic Interactive Approach to reach our relatives inside cults. He admits that cult exiting techniques of years before were not successful such as interventions , deprogramming, exit counseling . With the SIA approach it emphasizes teamwork between family members and reaching the cult member through love and trust building rapport with them by accessing their authentic personality.

I picked Chapter 4 to use in a thread as it goes into more detail than Chapter 3 about techniques to use in reaching our cult family or friends. It discusses building rapport with our cult family members. On pg. 51 Hassan states, " If someone was born into a cult, it could take years to decide to leave. But remember, many disillusioning experiences take place inside cult groups. As long as the member knows that there are people on the outside who care about him, he will feel that he has a choice. Create positive, loving experiences for him. Patiently show him alternative ways of living. For example, when Jehovah's Witnesses see that people who leave still believe in God, study the Bible, and lead moral lives, it is very persuasive. "

He continues, " Invite your loved one home. If he is in a group like the Jehovah's Witnesses, invite him to a party, not a birthday party. Send gifts and try to pick items that your loved one will use more than once- clthing for example. It will continually remind him of you. " He adds, " Make an effort to keep in regular contact. A picture postcard with a positive association and a message that says, " I miss you ", or " I love you. Please write back, " is better than doing nothing. Even if your letters and cards go unanswered, each piece of mail will remind him that you still care. Keep copies of everything ! "

Hassan also mentions to remember and think of you cult relatives activities he enjoyed outside cult activity. Places you used to live, or spend vacations. Think about activities he enjoyed, like sports, music, exercise, reading, or movies. And to use these as ways of sparking interest in your relatives.

Hassan mentions it's good to evaluate the destructive potential of the cult invoved by asking these 6 important questions :

1. Who is the leader ? What is his personal history ? Was he ever married ? Has he been divorced ? Does he have children?

2. What are the leaders credentials ? Does he have a criminal history ? A psychiatric history ?

3. What kind of education, training, or occupation did he have before starting the group ? Was he ever in a destructive cult ?

4. Does the leaders (s) make claims od exclusive wisdom, power, and spirituality ?

5. Are there any checks and balances of power in place ?

6. What has the cult leader written or said in speeches ?

In regards to the WT society leaders they definitely fit into some of these category's for sure ! So in regards to our JW relatives they are dangerously controlled- they just don't realize or know it. So I thought you'd enjoy some of the tidbits here from Chapter 4 in the book. I'm going to use some of these to reach my JW relatives. Any thoughts or expressions are appreciated ! If anybody has had some success in reaching their relatives with Hassan's methods, feel free to share as well ! Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

At the end of Chapter 3, page 47, Hassan gives a sumary of the chapter, I thought this sentence at the beginning of his summary was worth repeating.

"Pay attention, ask questions, become an "active" listener. Your loved one will tell you what needs to happen for him to leave the group."

~~~~~~

Chapter 4 - building rapport with our cult family members.

This was a good chapter. And I was glad to see that I had already used some of these tools without having 1st read the book. So, hopefully, I am doing something right to help.

As long as the member knows that there are people on the outside who care about him, he will feel that he has a choice. Create positive, loving experiences for him.

Yes. I think it was mentioned that they need to see that you ARE happy and your personality is no longer a mask, a clone persona. I know that my pre-cult personality has been returning. I MISSED ME A LOT!!! ( Let me apologize to those on the receiving end of my slightly warped and corny sense of humor- it's been bottled up for a long time!)

Patiently show him alternative ways of living. For example, when Jehovah's Witnesses see that people who leave still believe in God, study the Bible, and lead moral lives, it is very persuasive. "

Hope so. But, at this point, my friends are so consumed with their responsibilities and preaching, there's very little time for anything else.

Hassan also mentions to remember and think of you cult relatives activities he enjoyed outside cult activity.

I suppose this is good advice for those who had family and friends pre-cult. Hassan points out a way to analyze the pre-cult personality of a family member (in my case-friends), by writing in a chronological outline. Consider their strengths and weaknesses and as you pointed out, Flipper, Hassan Places you used to live, or spend vacations. Think about activities he enjoyed, like sports, music, exercise, reading, or movies. And to use these as ways of sparking interest in your relatives.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I haven't read this far yet. I will, I will.

I was not in disagreement with Hassan when I read his suggestions in RELEASING THE BONDS, but I was confident that getting a team of family/friends together to aid a JW out of the Watchtower cult wasn't very practical in most JW cases. I still gleaned good advice out of it, and I hope F.O.M. focuses more on things like Flipper mentioned here- letting the cult member know there are people who care on the outside.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

What Hassan seems to suggest (and what I am personally doing) is a form of Reverse Love-Bombing:

Create "magical" moments with your loved one.

Woo them!

Decontextualize their experience: Show them the world! (I suggest Paris)

Replace meetings with trips to a museum, walks in a garden, seeing live music.

Have been doing this so far with my wife, and now she's the one finding excuses to miss meetings!

• flipper
    flipper

RIP VAN WINKLE- Rip- I'm glad you're getting your old authentic personality back ! We enjoy your sense of humor ! I'm glad I've got my real personality back as well . It's a lot more comfortable being in an authentic personality than the cult one for sure ! Thanks for bringing these points out. As you mentioned if our JW family sees that we are happy and not destroyed like the WT society tells them we'll be - it helps our cult family members to see the discrepancy with what the WT society says will happen to us- and what REALLY happens, we are happy.

ON THE WAY OUT- Yeah, I think Hassan is emphasizing more family love being shown and showing the cult member that we are here for him.

BREAKFAST of CHAMPIONS- I'm so glad that you are having success with your JW wife my friend ! Really cool. Like you say by just showing her love OUTSIDE the JW experience it can help her to see that she doesn't get that unconditional love and support at the Kingdom hall , yet she will get it from you. Great job Breakfast ! Keep up the good work ! I've got a good feeling about your wife and how she will exit the cult I feel gradually

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

Is this Hassan's new book? it sounds a lot like is past two books

• flipper
    flipper

JOEY JO-JO- Yes, this is from Steve Hassan's new book. There are a few new points in the first 4 chapters, however I perused through the rest of the book and there are different points later on in the book also. So, it's a modification/improvement on his olde methods

• flipper
    flipper

Been out of town workin' for a couple days, wanted to bump this up ! Any comments welcome ! Thanks

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Flipper said Rip- I'm glad you're getting your old authentic personality back ! We enjoy your sense of humor !

(Glad I'm not the only one ! You never know when I'm gonna have to prepare a defense! Thanks, Flipper!!!)

----------

on page 56- What are your concerns?

The example he used was his meeting with a cult member’s mother whom he asked, "What do you say to her when she asks what you think of her involvement with the cult?” Cult mother answered, “Well, I tell her that everything is fine, that she’s an adult and can do whatever she wants to do.”

The problem, as Hassan points out, was that while the mother’s words were positive, she was at the same time shaking her head “No”. So her subconscious was busy at work overriding her words.

I agree this is very important that those of us trying to help our friends and loved ones out of a cult must particularly be made aware., as OUR own body language and FACIAL expressions can belie our words.

• flipper
    flipper

RIP VAN WINKLE- Good points you bring out. It's hard to sound convincing when we tell our cult family members something, yet our bodies or our expressions are screaming something else ! That's why this book is so valuable I believe as it mentions things we might not even think about from the psychological aspect. Keep on smilin' and keep your great sense of humor ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit