According to this article, shouldn't the refusal of blood = suicide?

by MC RubberMallet 13 Replies latest watchtower medical

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Here is the society's view towards suicide:

What viewpoint does God’s Word indicate that Christians should have toward suicide?

w757/15p.447QuestionsFromReaders

Jehovah as the source of life has decreed that human life is precious, sacred. (Gen. 9:5; Ps. 36:9) Hence, suicide, which means the taking of one’s own life, or killing oneself, is condemned by the Bible. Such intentional act is self-murder. (Ex. 20:13; 1 John 3:15) The few suicides mentioned in the Bible are of those who were unfaithful to Jehovah and who failed to consider that their lives really belonged to God.—1 Sam. 31:4; 2 Sam. 17:5-14, 23; 1 Ki. 16:18; Matt. 27:5.

One who intentionally takes his own life does so in utter disregard for the sacredness of life; he becomes bloodguilty. When one commits suicide while in possession of one’s mental faculties, this shows one to be void of morality, lacking faith, having no fear of God. It is a cowardly act, where one refuses to face up to the problems and responsibilities of life. If the person claimed to be a true Christian, the act would violently break his relationship with Jehovah. Suicide may be the giving in to pressures from demons who encourage self-destruction. (Matt. 17:14-18) This extremely self-centered act of murder manifests no love for one’s surviving family members, no love for one’s congregation and friends, and no love even for the surrounding community, as it brings shame and distress of mind upon all associates.—Mark 12:31.

As lovers of righteousness we leave the matter in the hands of a merciful, all-wise God as to any possible future for some of those driven to suicide. We who are lovers of life, holding every day of life sacred, endeavor to conduct our daily affairs and associations in a way that will merit the approval of the One who gave life to humankind.

My thoughts: For one, I do not feel such a cold loathing towards victims of suicide. But since they do, is this not what is happening when on refuses blood?!! I mean is this not a HUGE double standard? You would think if the option was suicide or blood, well, at least an ALIVE person can still serve Jehovah. What the heck?

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Also from that article:

w75 7/15 pp. 447-448 Questions From Readers

What, then, should be the attitude of members of a Christian congregation as to attending funerals of reported suicides who may have been associated with the congregation? What about an elder who has received a request to conduct such a funeral? Where death appears to have been accidental, even though it was reported as a suicide or may have involved mental illness, the consciences of some members of the congregation may permit them to attend the funeral to comfort the bereaved ones. Also, it is left up to the personal decision of an elder whether he will conduct such a funeral upon request. However, the congregation may prefer not to sponsor such a funeral publicly or to have it in the Kingdom Hall because of the effect it may have on the uninformed community (What effect? Do they know the effect of NOT sponsoring a funeral for one of your OWN?!).

On the other hand, where it is a clearly established suicide, members of the congregation and elders may desire not to become involved in the funeral (And that's ok, huh?). In such cases arrangements would be left to the family itself for a private funeral where some member of the household might say a few words for the sake of the relatives (So now the family is stuck with 10,000 in debt and even worse, a DEAD family member, the members of the congregation and community views this harshly, but whatever, the member should have thought about this before.) Furthermore, some may not desire to attend a funeral of one who is believed to have committed suicide where the funeral is conducted by someone other than a member of the congregation or by the funeral director himself at the request of the family.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

SO i guess I have two issues combined. But you would think with the way they describe suicide, refusing blood would be tantamount to suicide, and blood should be accepted. So which one is it? Is Jehovah ok with a dead servant or not, if they had a chance to not be dead?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Hmmmm---so what if a blood transfusion is the only thing that could save one from their suicide attempt? If they don't accept it, they will succeed in 'murdering' themselves. If they do accept it, they will still be in trouble!

THAT's what I'd like to see the readers ask!

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

NC - That's a good one.... That puts them in a position to decide which is more important...

• FuzzyPaul
    FuzzyPaul

Rules, rules, rules.

The "all-wise" Watchtower God is dead.

The WT god can't talk to us personally, they say that is a sign of mental illness.

A WT god can't heal miraculously, they say that is the work of Satan to deceive us - right into saying "Praise God, Thank-you Jesus." The Devil doesn't bless, he destroys every thing.

John 10:10

New International Version (NIV)

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

The WT god doesn't teach us directly. The WT says we need them and every word written by them must be read, or you're dead.

John 16
    Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

The Counselor’s Ministry

5 “But now I am going away to Him who sent Me, and not one of you asks Me, ‘Where are You going?’ 6 Yet, because I have spoken these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. 7 Nevertheless, I am telling you the truth. It is for your benefit that I go away, because if I don’t go away the Counselor will not come to you. If I go, I will send Him to you. 8 When He comes, He will convict the world about sin, righteousness, and judgment: 9 About sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see Me; 11 and about judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.

12 “I still have many things to tell you, but you can’t bear them now. 13 When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth. For He will not speak on His own, but He will speak whatever He hears. He will also declare to you what is to come. 14 He will glorify Me, because He will take from what is Mine and declare it to you. 15 Everything the Father has is Mine. This is why I told you that He takes from what is Mine and will declare it to you.

The WT god can't make up his mind, back and forth "tacking into the wind."

The WT god has no hands to save. They say to trust them and every word from their Slave class.

Isaiah 48

New International Version (NIV)

22 “There is no peace,” says the Lord , “for the wicked.”

When you get out of the WT you will stop being in turmoil because of them.

Yeah.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Surely your loved ones who saw you totally paralyzed and living a helpless life of drooling indignity, sitting in your own excreta until a nurse comes to wipe you down - surely they could understand why you would want to die? Why would they want your suffering to continue possibly for decades? Why would any community be so cruel?

As for the statement that the life belongs to jehovah - well if that's how he expects a human being to suffer, give him back his stinking life and shove it up there with the Watchtower and Asleep! toilet paper.

HB

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

it is by no means certain that refusal of blood = certain death. I have known several dubs who refused "necessary" blood transfusions but still pulled through ( not that this makes the responsibility of the WTC any the less if they do die, of course - it is a heinous doctrine ) I do not think that it can be called suicide.

Re suicide. a WT article in 2002 updated and relaxed the view a bit. In practise, I have known elders who have conducted funerals for such victims. I would be surprised nowadays, around here , if they did not. In old days of course The Church would refuse Christian burial.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

BB - I see....

There is was a brother who committed suicide recently who had his talk in the KH but viewing at another location. http://www.funeralfinder.com/obituaries/fosbenner-nathan/04-28-2012/

HB - I have known some also. But if Jehovah is so intent that each person views their life so preciously, would not the refusal of blood mean a person it taking their own life?

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Both are victims of mental illness. One the victim of depression, the other of religious fanaticism/legalism and extreme indoctrination.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit