Question on In Vitro fertilization - quote from 12/15/12 WT

by sd-7 35 Replies latest jw friends

• ssn587
    ssn587

I think the question should be in Mary's experience is that did she enjoy it, did it last long enough for her to experience bliss? mythology has no bounds, and how much did the holy spirit enjoy it?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Uniting perfection with imperfection. Okay, so let's say this happened, and because the father was perfect, it just overwhelmed the imperfect in Mary, and so she had a perfect son. How would it have overwhelmed her imperfection genetically? Best I can come up with is the perfect genes were all dominant---but to be a legitimate pregnancy, half those genes were imperfect Mary's. So let's say that all her genes were recessive. The phenotype if perfect---but what about the genotype? Jesus would have carried Mary's imperfect genes even if they did not affect his physical outcome.

So I guess the question is: Can a person really be perfect if they have an imperfect genotype----regardless of phenotype?

I suppose they didn't count on genetics.

• Knowsnothing
  • Steve_C
    Steve_C

Knowsnothing, Too funny!

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

NC said:

Uniting perfection with imperfection. Okay, so let's say this happened, and because the father was perfect, it just overwhelmed the imperfect in Mary, and so she had a perfect son. How would it have overwhelmed her imperfection genetically? Best I can come up with is the perfect genes were all dominant---but to be a legitimate pregnancy, half those genes were imperfect Mary's. So let's say that all her genes were recessive. The phenotype if perfect---but what about the genotype? Jesus would have carried Mary's imperfect genes even if they did not affect his physical outcome.

So I guess the question is: Can a person really be perfect if they have an imperfect genotype----regardless of phenotype?

I suppose they didn't count on genetics.

Sheeze: are you REALLY going to try and apply the principles of modern genetics to Mary's virginal conception? REALLY, NC? *sigh* OK....

So Sky Daddy has to supply a Y chromosome to the sex-determining chromosomes (23rd pair), or else Yeshua is going to have to be named the female form, Yeshuah. Jesus is stuck with the imperfect contribution of Mary's X chromosome for pair 23, which shouldn't be a problem, being as Jesus never reproduced (AFAWK).

50% of the autosomes (body chromosomes) come from Sky Daddy, 50% from Mary, so there's the possibility of the dominant genes that are expressed being all from Daddy (and would God have it any other way? You think he'd consciously let a woman's genes over-power his?).

The fly in the ointment is with the mitochondrial DNA: all of that comes exclusively from the mother, and being that the mitochondria is the "power plant" organelle of the cells, that's gonna be a problem.

However, we're assuming 'sin' is a genetic disease (apparently as does the WT), and this whole analysis assumes that the original sin caused a genetic degradation: more quasi-science from those who don't really know much about biology, as there's no reason to claim that man's imperfect status results from a genetic defect.

So after explaining all of that, the resiliant JW looks at you and says, "YHWH is pretty amazing, isn't he?" and then you slap your forehead.... Trust me, it NEVER gets old....

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Look---I don't want to use modern genetics to explain a virgin birth---that's what THEY do---so I was just going along the line of reasoning they started. Since as we know, the bible is never wrong, and science confirms everything in the bible---this is particularly problematic. They want it all---they want spirituality---they want faith---and they want science.

Well they can't have it all.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

I know: I was just kidding ya'... I know you know that I know that you know that it's all silly....

Although, I think the mDNA angle is interesting: we get those exclusively from Mom.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

The mDNA angle IS interesting! And basically what it comes down to, is if a person wants to believe in a virgin birth and pretend to accept science, they will mold and remold it until it fits. And if they want to just believe the literal bible in all things, then no amount of science will matter. And in the end, magic never fails, so it's not that we now understand a great deal about genetics, it is that there are things we don't understand so it is safe to fill in the blanks with whatever you wish.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

KS- sounds like love is in the air. Why don't the two of you get a (lab) room and experiment!!! LOL

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

RVW said:

KS- sounds like love is in the air. Why don't the two of you get a (lab) room and experiment!!! LOL

Oh, my! Is my crush on Beano THAT obvious?

Well, it's purely on an intellectual level: I LUV the way she boldly expresses and defends her thoughts.

(although, she's got to work on her vengeful ad-hominems: "poopie-head" is pretty-damned weak-sauce apple-sauce, if you ask me....)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit