"ARAB SPRING" smells like composted pig manure now

by Nathan Natas 30 Replies latest social humour

• wasblind
    wasblind

So the President is sucker punched again_____Glander

So have the Jehovah's Witnesses, they were told that peace among the nations marked the end

of this wicked system and they would be in paradise. NOT

• designs
    designs

When you look at the Evangelical Far Right Tea Party actually wanting Voter Suppression and their attacks on women's physiology things aren't smelling so rosey here.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

To be fair, the dictators were approved of and supported by the West. The Arab spring was a middle finger to the west and its fake dictators. Democracy takes time and democracy in the East does not = democracy in the West, for example the majority have voted the Muslim brotherhood into power in Egypt. Thats what we get for pretending Iraq was about freedom and democracy. Ouch... blowback ! They didnt vote the way we had hoped!

Power to the people and we should leave them alone! We caused the problems in Iran (operation Ajax), Israel & Palestine (uk zionist movement), Yemen, Lybia, Iraq, Afghansitan.... we empowered anyone that would do our bidding. Not usually the kind of person you want in charge.

Arabs are fascinating and intelligent people. They had grand libraries whilst we had mud huts here in Britain. The Arabs were working out the circumferance of the earth whilst we were figuring out spears.

We have meddled for far too long. We should help them out as we claim to do, but not dictate their lives.

P.s. "Pig manure" is a highly offensive thing to say and very anti-islamic. I am not a muslim, I do not have any time for that religion. However that kind of comment is a disgrace. This revolt is a minority of ignorant troublemakers. There are billions of muslims in the world. These do not represent the majority. The same as that American fool burning Quarans, or this film maker, they too do not represent America.

Democracy is never a bad thing, they have as much a right to it as us.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I think the purpose of the topic title was meant to be highly offensive, and I don't care. Coming from a private citizen, it is completely acceptable to insult a religion, in my view. Government officials need to use a bit more care, and it is not inappropriate for them to condemn certain messages, in the context of what a government should stand for. Both in favor of free speech, and against targetting religions.

The part that is baffling is that anyone really thought that the Arab world would just settle down, violence would be set aside, all decisions would be good and favor the west, and that somehow anybody could have made it come about that way. This is still a time of turmoil and transition. America has been unable to prevent riots in our own country---what makes anyone thinks we can prevent spontaneous violence in other countries?

There is no balance to this conversation---only politics.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

They DON'T want Democracy. They want a THEOCRACY, it's called Islam...

We were foolish to think the middle east would ever embrace democracy just because WE wanted it for them. They don't want a democratic form of goverment, they want a theocratic government.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

The thought process must have been;

Conversion to a democratic government = favorable Western relations

Favorable Western relations = No threat of terrorism (or hostilities toward the west)

No terrorism = Peace

Do you think that was the line of thought by the powers that be??

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Or are they split on the issue? Plenty of Christians here would like a theocracy---but they don't get it. Those that favor such here, tend to be louder, more violent in their rhetoric, and more visable to those looking in. Could this be happening over there? Because my understanding is that many do want a more secular government, but perhaps not to the degree that our government is supposed to be secular. We have a pretty hard time keeping things secular here, and we have a more diverse population. I think it would be even harder in an area where there is less variety as to religion.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I see what you mean New Chapter. I agree with Hitchens that nobody has the right to NOT be offended. But still to go out and offend with intention seems a little distateful.

I agree with everything else you say though.

May I ask what your background is NC ? You are a very intelligent, well articulated person. You put me to shame, I love it !

Snare

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Whatever it is that they are hoping to accomplish by storming embassies, they just went and did their brethren in Syria a huge disfavour. The message is clear. Assad will protect your diplomatic missions. Support our revolution, and should we succeed we'll storm yours. Saif-al Islam Gaddafi is having the last laugh now in what is likely to be the final months before he is murdered and has his lifeless body paraded and abused among his erstwhile countrymen. He'll never see The Hague, but he'll die knowing that the powers who had brought down his father's dictatorship just got bitten by the very same stray dogs they just rescued and fed.

• james_woods
    james_woods

The first and most obvious thing to do about this "Arab Spring" mess is to STOP GIVING THESE COUNTRIES OUR FOREIGN AID UNLESS THEY WELL AND TRULY SHAPE UP AND STOP THESE ATTACKS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit