JW's , Star Trek V and pain.

by DATA-DOG 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Since everyone is thinking of Star Trek this week, I have a question. In Star Trek V, Kirk has a chance to have his secret pain removed by Spock's half-brother. Kirk refuses, and says that he needs his pain because it makes us who we are. Have you ever wondered about that? Who would we be if it was all taken away? Would you still be you? Are you secretly afraid to be healed because you would be someone different? Just curious.... Also, you don't have to be a dub to answer.

• youngbro
    youngbro

Interesting question. Would I still have the things I have learned and the qualities developed from my pains?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I don't know, would you? I Don't have an answer. Without the pain, and the experience from it, wouldn't you view everything differently and be a different person? Maybe we just have to find a new motivation for actions in life if we lose our anger and hurt. Maybe letting go of those familiar things even though painful, frightens us, and that's why we hold on to them ? I always thought that line from the movie was deep.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I dunno. Pain hurts. I'll avoid it if I can.

I hung out with chronic pain sufferers a couple years back. I would not trade their places for any money. Pain fogs the thinking; it ends up dominating their lives.

When my son underwent reconstructive surgery on his shoulder, they gave him morphine for the first 48 hours, even though he was a recovering drug addict. The relief from any pain helps in healing. As long as the good stuff is used for a short time only, it's wonderful. My son did not develop a new addiction afterwards, either.

I saw a grandmother dying of heart failure, given inadequate morphine by a shift nurse. Her thrashing was terrible to behold. Let the dying go gently in to that soft night.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

A fav long ass quote:

"We still hadn't learned, though, that growing up is all about getting hurt. And then getting over it. You hurt. You recover. You move on. Odds are pretty good you're gonna get hurt again. But each time you learn something.

Each time you come out of it a little stronger, and at some point you realize that there are more flavors of pain than coffee. There's the little empty pain of leaving something behind--graduating, taking the next step forward, walking out of something familiar and safe into the unknown. There's the big, whirling pain of life upending all of your plans and expectations. There's the sharp little pains of failure, and the more obscure aches of successes that didn't give you what you thought they would. There are the vicious, stabbing pains of hopes being torn up. The sweet little pains of finding others, giving them your love, and taking joy in their life as they grow and learn. There's the steady pain of empathy that you shrug off so you can stand beside a wounded friend and help them bear their burdens.

And if you're very, very lucky, there are a very few blazing hot little pains you feel when you realize that you are standing in a moment of utter perfection, an instant of triumph, or happiness, or mirth which at the same time cannot possibly last--and yet will remain with you for life.

Everyone is down on pain, because they forget something important about it: Pain is for the living. Only the dead don't feel it.

Pain is a part of life. Sometimes it's a big part, and sometimes it isn't, but either way, it's a part of the big puzzle, the deep music, the great game. Pain does two things: It teaches you , tells you that you're alive. Then it passes away and leaves you changed. It leaves you wiser, sometimes. Sometimes it leaves you stronger. Either way, pain leaves it's mark, and everything important that will ever happen to you in life is going to involve it in one degree or another."

~Harry Dresden from "White Night"

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Ditto MrsJones!!!~Harry Dresden!!!!!

• Night Owl
    Night Owl

The Japanese thought that depression was just a condition of being a human being, of existing, until the pharma's came in and brainwashed them into taking their anti-depressants.

Pain is just a part of life.

NightOwl

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

And my 2 cents-

I don't like pain. Physical pain hurts.Emotional pain devastates.

However, having one or both can cause some to be more empathetic towards others, and can serve as understanding other people's limitations. On the other hand, someone's emotional pain can be more debillitating than physical pain. And can cause someone to lash out in anger, because they have suppressed themselves or because of their circumstances in their life; they use their pain to inflict pain upon others.

I would choose no pain for anyone of any sort-but that's a fantasy- not a reality. That's Star Trek V.

• baltar447
  • jgnat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit