Yurts - Relatively Safe Housing for Earthquake-Prone Areas???

by ziddina 62 Replies latest social current

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well you are putting this idea out are some sort of life saving method for earthquake prone areas which I was born in and have lived in most my life. But if you don't want to me to participate in your thread fine. I will excuse myself since I apparently have nothing to offer.

Good day.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I get it. I really do. Nevertheless, yurts have frost on the interior of the building when it drops to -20C. The interior gets to a toasty 0C. This is exemplary performance for a temporary structure made from canvas or hides and felt. I still don't want to switch to one. I hug my thermostat. Then there's the minor matter of central plumbing. Old people like me pay attention to these sorts of details.

Building codes that demand better reinforcement do work. The death tolls comparing say, Japan to Turkey, don't lie.

My dad was big in to geodesic domes when I was a kid. I used to pore over the literature. I've googled what's happening these days and I see the manufacturerers have a better time selling them as temporary and event structures.

I also happen to know from my studies that the extreme material efficiency of these structures make them very efficient at other things, too. As others have mentioned, heat retention. Tests show that they spread fire very quickly too. I notice that current fire codes require that these structures be made of fire retardant materials probably for this very reason.

Geodesic Dome

• ziddina
    ziddina

There you go, jgnat.

I guess I should have made it clearer that I considered the traditional Mongolian yurt as a STARTING point.

Though, some of those 'permanent dwelling' yurts/gers I've seen while perusing photos for this thread, really have me drooling!!!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Comparing Turkey to Japan.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2097674,00.html

Here's a prototype school building from inexpensive materials.

Prototype School Building

An earthquake-resistant straw building:

Earthquake Straw Building

• ziddina
    ziddina

Cool!!!

Now, lemme get this straight...

You'd live in a straw building, but not a modified yurt/ger???

• jgnat
    jgnat

LOL, zid. I might go on a short-term mission to build an earthquake resistant structure. In Haiti or somewhere.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

LOL, how does anyone get angry on a thread about YURTS? I mean, just say the word and it makes me smile. In fact, it's impossible to be angry while saying the word YURT. It just is. It's the best anger management tool available to humans. YURT!

And I can't remember who, but I agree, it is totally a Dr. Seuss kind of word---and not only that----the actual structures look totally Dr. Seuss too.

I'm going to build a YURT in my backyard for when my house slides down the hill.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

In Florida a yurt might as well be called a sweat lodge.

*waves at NC*

• jgnat
    jgnat

What a coincidence! I had my first sweat lodge experience. Goshdarnit, those things are HOT.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I'd actually really like to try it under expert guidance sometime. Next time I go west.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit