Yurts - Relatively Safe Housing for Earthquake-Prone Areas???

by ziddina 62 Replies latest social current

• ziddina
    ziddina

jgnat, did you not see my post above, to Black Sheep???

"Well, Black Sheep, these yurts originated in Mongolia, which is located just below Russia...
    In fact, Mongolia has a climate similar to ours here in Colorado - except it's shifted towards the cold end of our spectrum. We get highs in the 90's to 100's+; Mongolia's high temperatures usually reach the 80's. Our low temperatures here can reach -15 degrees Farenheit, and Mongolia can get even colder...
    True Mongolian yurts - or more properly, gers - are made with multiple layers of felted sheeps' wool for the walls and roof. That keeps things very toasty indeed, during a Mongolian winter...
    Of course, people in other areas would want to use something other than felted sheeps' wool, I suppose - though the lanolin in the sheeps' wool keeps the rain/snow out...."
  • jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, yes, Ziddania, I read your full post. But I've also felt the full force of a Canadian winter. I've slept in a tent through more than one cool summer evening and lay shivering in my sleeping bag wondering if my bladder can hold out until the sun comes up. We have native bands close by, and they still put up traditional tipis with coal-burning stoves (for tradition's sake, not daily living). Nevertheless, one needs a sleeping bag that is rated for -20C.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Yurts call to mind Dr. Seuss!!! Even the word, YURT, is funny on it's own. Thinking about Ziddina, who so enjoys the HEAT, in a sheeps wool lined Yurt, in the (brrr) Colorado winter, now that's hysterical!!!!!

• moshe
    moshe

I always wanted to build a yurt- I have some good ideas to try out- and a geodesic dome would be fun to build, too.

• perfect1
    perfect1

I resided in a yurt for a time. the space inside is pleasing, but air circulation is a problem. Also, can be really hot if in full sun.

• ziddina
    ziddina

I've been toying with the notion of using the concept of the lattice-work framework of the yurt wall for some sort of earthquake-resistant structural support - though the idea of living in a yurt does appeal to me...

About the issue of overheating - yurts evolved in a cold climate [take note, those who are complaining about the cold] and they aren't built for hot climates...

On the other hand, a traditional yurt has a sort of porthole or vent at the top, which, when opened, might alleviate the heat and circulation problem.

Also - and not to repeat myself too much, but - REAL yurts have MULTIPLE LAYERS of wool fabric for the "walls" - though one could remove those and use cotton canvas in summertime, I suppose.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

i think it as a nice idea as far as living green altho i hate that term, and it is structuraly sound. toss in a mesquito net and pass me a pina colada

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It would be a cool idea to vaca in one...in Tahoe! That would be awesome.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Z- I sent you a PM.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

You can try them out at the Treebones Resort in Big Sur, California.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit