Meeting attendance

by DATA-DOG 60 Replies latest watchtower bible

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

blondie, they used to give the phonelink to anyone but recently they got really strick ,to get the phonelink number you need the approval of the elders

• jgnat
    jgnat

Blondie, the trip (one-way) is 130 KM (80 miles). Field service looks to be pretty soft. It's a four hour car ride, with a coffee break in the middle. The brothers called on hubby once (no advance notice) but hubby has decided not to be offended at his lack of opportunity for field service.

They tried dial-in from the old Kingdom Hall but then they were hit with a huge long-distance bill. The phone company considered it a commercial line. No more dial-in from the old hall.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Blondie -

Dial in... is that when you call a telephone number and enter a passcode?

I did that recently. It was a local number (United States). I was kinda creeped out when they asked for the number of listeners.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hubby said they looked in to Skype but decided it was not secure enough.

• baltar447
    baltar447

lol!!! Skype wasn't secure enough? What are they smoking?

• wasblind
    wasblind

" The message that the witnesses proclaim involves the lives of people; they want to be careful to miss no one."_____Reasoning book page 206

So what's up wit approval from the elders for a phone link, and questionin' how many are listenin' in

and needin' more security than skype can provide ????

• integ
    integ

I visited the Evansville Wisconsin kingdom hall recently becuz of a relative of mine. Funny how the biggest jerks in my family are the witnesses. Since I haven' t gone to meetings much lately...last few yrs. i look at things from a different perspective.

IMO...no offense...witnesses are just weird...period.

There was one big fat guy at that hall named Shane...he is an azzwipe.

• steve2
    steve2

The Kingdom Hall in a small country town of Shannon, New Zealand lies unused, although the few older witnesses (who now have to travel to the nearest other small town Foxton) keep the lawns mowed to create impression it is still in use. It's located on the main road out of town, and on the other side of the road is a rivalrous Gospel Hall ... still in use. I recall years ago, witnesses in the area would confidently boast that they had greater attendance at their meetings than the Gospel Hall.

It's instructive what a few decades undoes: The kingdom hall lies empty whilst the Gospel Hall keeps pulling in the numbers.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

@baltar447. You have to remember that us dubs have a persecution complex and think everyone, especially apostates, are out to get us. The fact that Skype calls can be recorded is enough of a reason not to use it. Another example is the use of radio mics. They are fine to use at a public meeting but cannot be used in meetings such as elders schools. All quick build halls in the uk now use a sound system that allows radio mics to be turned off and wired mics to be used in their place, just in case someone could be outside hacking into the mic signal!

It's the same cold war thinking that prevents the use of electronic devices in such meetings for recording or note taking. The fact the stuff comes out anyway seems of little consequence.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This isn't a new trend. About the time they did away with congregation outings, I noticed boasting session attendance starting to drop off. It used to be around 100 on a Sunday and 80 on a Thursday (when we had the circus meeting then). Eventually, within a few years after the congregation outings stopped, I noticed the average attendance dropping into the 60s on Sunday. The circus meeting was moved to Tuesday, and still the boasting session attendance would average around 55-60. It was rare that they would have a full schedule for the Theocraptic Misery "School(??)" because of it.

Then, shortly before I left, for some stupid reason, the boasting session in that congregation picked back up to about where it was back in the late 1980s. They were getting quite a few move-ins, along with those who wouldn't miss a boasting session because they were recruited in a state of compulsive/obsessive disorder. At the same time, the bottom dropped out on the other congregation that met at the same Kingdumb Hell. Down from the 110 area to the 50s and 60s on Sunday and 40s (if they were lucky) on Thursday. Then, I simply quit going at all--hopefully, they are getting attendance down into the 30s on a Sunday when the hounder-hounder is in, or attendance in the 30s for the REJECT Astaroth Party.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit