Brothers playing sports are so aggressive.

by Kaiser 28 Replies latest jw friends

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

My mom finally convinced my worldly dad to join the brothers from our congegration to join them in a game of basketball and soccer, thinking this would entice my dad and bond with the brothers and make him realize that she was right all along, these are God's people. (My dad used to play college basketball in his younger years, and is an avid fan of sports. Like, really avid. )

Well he went. And he never ever went back. Mom used to bug him every Sunday morning about it, and he'd reply with "I'm tired" "I'm sore", or the dreaded "But I'm taking the kids to play basketball right this very moment!!" So we had to suffer through my dad's coaching for a while, until my mom finally asked him one day why he didn't want to 'fraternize' with the JWs.

And my dad went serious and said something about how the brothers were the worst players he had ever encountered in his non-professional life. They were also ball hoggers and completely disorganized and held grudges. And that by the end of the games, they had shunned my dad because he kept scoring and scoring.

• Paulapollos
    Paulapollos

I once organised a football mactch between my congregation, and another that shared our hall, at Lilleshall FA. We started playing, and about fifteen minutes in, an elder did a two-footed slide tackle on a young lad. This caused a shoving match, with the elder shouting the odds. We managed to get things to calm down, until just before half time - when our own goalkeeper ran out of goal, and lost the ball. He then turned to one of his own defenders and started punching him in the face. One of the lads on our team grabbed him - and the goalkeepers mate, who was on the opposing team, jumped in, and started a full-on brawl.

At the end of the second half, in literally the last minute, one of the opposition players was running thru on goal, and one of our defenders tried to fly-kick him in the back. Which, as you can imagine, led to another, ahem, "robust discussion" amongst the teams.

I think the next time we all went to the hall, we sang some song about the love and brotherly unity amongst Jehovah's happy people.......

PP

• scotoma
    scotoma

Then you have this past sunday's watchtower with a picture of a rebellious teen playing violent video games.

Sounds better than engaging in sports with the elders. Killing a few villains on screen or getting your arm broke.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Oh I like an aggressive man.... oh was that not the point?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Ziddina: And isn't it odd that a religion/cult that supposedly extolls the superiority of men, also emasculates them??

That is a VERY INTERESTING observation, Ziddy!

I've just recently become very aware of the constant mixed messages that the WT publications direct at the R&F:

• God loves you / Screw up and he'll kill you at Armageddon
    • God drew you into the congregation / You have a treacherous heart
    • Remember the Widow's Mite / Why aren't you pioneering?
    • You're only safe among God's People in the Congregation / You can't trust everyone in the Congregation either - (see the last two WT study articles, w12 7/15)

It is clearly a deliberate pattern. I'm not a psychologist, but I sense that this is a manipulative technique to create confusion, uncertainty and self-doubt that makes people easier to control.

Once I started to become aware of this, I see it everywhere in JW/WT publications. It's also pervasive through the entire fabric of JW culture.

Only JWs will survive Armageddon, but YOU are not good enough. Nothing YOU do is ever good enough.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

And they think sports are aggressive?

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

lets just face it JW's with competitive sports and groups going to restaurants are just a recipe for disaster.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Definitely jws have competitive feelings trapped ready to release at any moment. I have been clobbered by witnesses playing football and basketball. Even volleyball ones who would push the "non-performers" out of the way to get the ball.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Brothers playing sports are so aggressive.

Good memories. :-) I played to win back when I was younger and played sports with the other JW youth on weekends. So did everyone else, and it was not just for fun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit