Are they asking for it?

by Hermano 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Hermano
    Hermano

After reading throught Bluepill2's thread on the WTS ASL masturbation video, I wonder, are they doing this on purpose? Are they somehow hoping some of this stuff goes viral to garner attention? Are they counting on a public backlash so they can claim persecution? Something just doesn't add up for me. Are the leaders really that out of touch with reality, or is this a calculated publicity stunt?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I do believe they are that out of touch.

Anyone who has grown up in or been in a Bethel congregation knows firsthand how out of synch with reality these people are.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If they don't want people masturbating, why are they putting so much emphasis on it? People are going to do it behind their backs. But, if they would simply say as little as possible about it, perhaps "It is viewed as potentially unclean" and then leaving it at that, they would have people not thinking about it as much. But when they put it in people's faces all the time, that's when people are going to think about it.

One example. Suppose you live with your parents, and one of them smokes. You do not like the smoke. Are you going to get anywhere if you keep harping on it before they light up, or are you simply going to remind them that it's time for a cigarette? (Yes, it is different if you remind them of the hazards AFTER they light up, but don't remind them before). On the other hand, if you keep your big mouth shut, they might forget it's time for a cigarette. And if they are in the store, harping on it before they reach the section might remind them to pick up a carton they might otherwise have forgotten.

Or, you are in field circus and the group has a call. This is in a territory you know well but they don't, and they are on the right street. As you see them approaching the house (and it's a call that you dread, perhaps the guy spitting blood into a mayonnaise jar), are you going to complain about it then? Or, are you going to keep your big mouth shut and hope they drive right past the place and waste another 15 minutes hunting for it? (And complain only after they stopped, and they are actually trying to get you involved). The hope is that they will waste enough time that someone will get a Big Mac attack, go for coffee, waste enough gas to need to get some, and then forget the call.

Better to focus on what they do want people to do. If they were to spend 95% of the time focused on what you are supposed to be doing, people are more likely to forget to masturbate or do something else they "are not supposed to". They might be reminded to do what they "are supposed to do" instead. And do it in such a way that they actually get benefit, otherwise they might see through the scam and rebel, not doing it after all.

• cedars
    cedars

They don't have a clue. They honestly think we don't care enough to notice these things and bring them to people's attention.

Cedars

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I posted it on my FB can't stop laughing

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

I was at Bethel and yes most people who stay there longer than 5 yrs become out of touch with the real world. They seriously forget what its like to work, pay bills, shop for and cook your own food. They can't relate anymore to what happens in the real world and the result is bator and sparlock videos.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

They had no clue it would go viral. They probably still might not know.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

I think there's a faction within the upper echelons of the WT that is purposely printing material to raise the eyebrows of JWs, and the production of this video may have the hand of a saboteur at work. That La Bamba looking kid was FAR too into it. His facial expressions, the efforts he put into mock stroking left me under the impression that either he's far too zealous, possibly brown-nosing, or an undercover troll. Plenty of JWs are stiffs, but plenty of JWs have a sense of humor. That said, I can't for one moment imagine that nobody reviewing that video before it was posted on the website, didn't find La Bamba's mock stroke and facial expressions hilarious and also quasi suspect.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I would like to think there's some underground facet involved but I really doubt it.

The deaf are straightforward when they communicate and they are pumping out (pun intended) these videos at a high rate, doing every single WT study and producing a sign language New World Translation. Somebody just probably thought that extreme exaggeration made this point clearer.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Yet Even ASL censors its audience when communicating about these specific issues and most who use ASL agree that there are other "less graphic" ways to communicate about masturbation. Was WBTS going for shock value? Seriously, what is with the guys facial expressions....in no way is that required....I think he was just enjoying making the video a bit too much. lmao

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit