Views on handing out literature during field service

by Joey Jo-Jo 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ziddina
    ziddina

What Billy said...

As Slimboyfat said above, if I find the literature in a laundromat or other place of business where I'm using the services/facilities, I trash the crap.

If they come to my door, I challenge their beliefs based upon archaeological and paleoarchaeological evidences, the ethnic origins of the bible [middle eastern origins], or the glaring scientific errors in the bible.

I do not accept the literature, for that would encourage a return visit, and I don't see a return visit doing any good for either one of us...

• blondie
    blondie

In the recent KMs the WTS has been telling the rank and file not to give a magazine, brochure, or book on the first contact but a tract. To call back and see if the interest is real. I'm sure they have their own reason, cutting publishing costs. I remember how many jws left older magazines at not at homes and handed them out to every bypasser in street work (to have them end up in the trash)

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Accepting it only encourages them. Let your "no" mean no; do nothing that could be interpreted as "maybe".

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

Thank you all who responded.

The last question has two parts so let me point them out, one aspect is the communication and the other is the money involved. So putting it in context would be - Would there be a loss of revenue due to a decrease in supply? Let's say many change their mind and don't want mags. the printing press now produces less magazines and the slaves pay less for magazines due to the decrease in supply (less hand out's of watchtower literature).-

• blondie
    blondie

This is what I observe, few jws donate for the pubs at the KH, still voluntary and for the most part confidential. Few jws are comfortable asking for contributions at the door whether they place a pub or not. I asked once if you should ask for contributions to the worldwide work only if someone takes a pub...silence.

So the costs of materials paper, ink, etc., any transportation costs would not be recouped. While Bethelites ae not paid a salary, they do receive an allowance and have some medical costs covered. The WTS also supplies food and a place to live.

The WTS had a gold mine, cash flow, before 1990 when the rank and file paid more than cost for personal publications and those they placed with non-jws. I loved it when the WTS would re-study a book and encourage the rank and file to get a new book and not use the old one.

It is surprising to me that the WTS is being so direct about giving only a tract on the first contact.

• elderelite
    elderelite

blondie its only suprising to me that its taken this long... paper and ink cost major money and with no more farm to dump toxic chemicals, its got to be costing a pretty penny, canada printing not withstanding.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

Blondie - I read I think in CoC or ISoCF that the production costs for a mag cost way less than what jw's think they cost, so you and elderelite are suggesting that the WB&TS may be making a loss, does anyone have evidence to support this?

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

I've still been placing magazines and could honestly count my time. So, how much time can I count each month for placing my mags in the trash?

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Joey Jo-Jo - Would there be a loss of revenue due to a decrease in supply? Let's say many change their mind and don't want mags. the printing press now produces less magazines and the slaves pay less for magazines due to the decrease in supply (less hand out's of watchtower literature).-

I may not be understanding the question, but... hasn't this already been occurring? I.E. they have dropped one or so issues of the magazines, and the size has gotten smaller, they are consolidating a lot of their printing into one or two magazines, etc.

It looks to me... whenever I see any publication do this - not just the WTBTS - that there is an issue (no pun intended) with financials. In the case of 'for profit' magazines, they are not making the sales of magazines like they used to, and hence, cut back on the size of the magazine.

Of course, in the case of 'for-profit' magazines, if they can get out and sell more advertising to fill their pages, they can offset some of the loss of revenue from loss of subscribers or counter sales.

In the case of the WTBTS magazines, they can't do this.

Of course, I'm not as well connected as others in JW-land, so I may be missing something.

Regards,

Jim TX

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

I alway's thought it annoying when I run out of newspaper to help stoke my fire in the winter to keep warm. Then my prayers were answered...jws showed up at my door.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit