Mrs Cedars and I try an interesting diet...

by cedars 30 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

I guess no matter what country you live in, the costs of food and everything are going up. It's certainly no different where Mrs Cedars and I live, and we're noticing a huge increase on our monthly spending for basic commodities - especially food and drink.

Normally when we go shopping I tend to stock up on drinks - mostly beer, wine, and fizzy drinks like Coke, Fanta or Sprite. I tend to be quite picky with my fizzy drinks, and I can't really tolerate cheap "store brand" imitations. Obviously, we also buy juices, which are very healthy but can also prove expensive.

Anyway, we decided for the month of September to spend the entire month buying nothing but fizzy mineral water! Where we live, it's a fraction of the price of flavored drinks, and much better for you. It's also far more thirst quenching, and quite appealing when refrigerated (more so than just drinking normal tap water).

Our strange diet has also led to us drinking less alcohol. We do have some homemade wine kicking around, but it's not as nice as the stuff you buy in the shop, and we're therefore less tempted to drink it. So as well as saving us money, and reducing our intake of e-numbers, we're also giving our livers a break by going easy on the booze.

I know it's not that earth-shatteringly interesting, but I thought I would mention this incase anyone else on here fancied giving it a try? I'm also interested to hear if anyone has any other good money-saving dietary ideas they can share?

Cedars

• james_woods
    james_woods

Does this mean the end of Mrs. Cedars gourmet food posts?

• cedars
    cedars

lol, no this just applies to drink, not food!!

Cedars

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

Fizzy Drinks were invented by SATAN!

Not good for you at all

• Glander
    Glander

I once ate an Englishmans liver with some Fava beans and a nice, homemade, Chianti....hmmm...sssp

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Sorry I can't make this clickable: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-5524/7-Side-Effects-of-Soda.html

We're a sode free household.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks mrsjones - it's certainly good to know we're missing out on all those nasties by just having sparkling mineral water!

Cedars

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Cedars,

I had never thought of using fizzy water as a replacement comfort drink. I’m going to give that a try. My drinking is, of course, for hydration. But like most folk I tend to find a drink that I can sip for comfort. It could be fizzy water would make for a good comfort drink (like alcohol, coffee, tea or cola products), and secondarily offer better health benefit and at less cost.

Thanks for planting the idea!

Marvin Shilmer

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I know the American friends are against fizz altogether, but with a screen name like mine I just love the stuff !

When I am trying to cut down on alcohol, which happens quite regularly, about once a decade actually, I find that carbonated water, well chilled, makes me feel as though I am not missing out too much.

The times I have actually managed to lose weight too have involved lots of carbonated water, I must look in to the claims that somehow it is bad for you, I am deeply suspiscious of the "science" behind all these dietary scares.

Thank you Ben Goldacre ! (he wrote a column in the Guardian, which later was a book, called "Bad Science", it exposed most of the tabloid scare stories and some other stuff as of doubtful provenance)

This evening Son NO.1 is here for dinner, so diets and not drinking are simply not alllowed !!

• baltar447
    baltar447

We used to mix vodka and soda, but we've switched to club soda and a little juice instead.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit